Colectivo workers deserve a platform to have their voices heard
Statement from Alderman Khalif J. Rainey September 21, 2020
Recently, in partnership with the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local Union 494, employees of Colectivo Coffee Roasters began the process of forming a union.
COVID-19 has greatly impacted workers in the food and beverage industry, and that the employees of Colectivo want to form a union to help provide a platform to lift their voices is understandable. This is why I was disappointed to hear that the owners of Colectivo came out so strongly against unionization efforts, and shared typical anti-union rhetoric in an effort to dissuade their employees.
I support the employees of Colectivo, and all local workers, in their fight for better working conditions, fair representation and enhanced communication with owners and upper management. I hope the leaders of this local café chain will do what’s right and embrace the efforts of their staff.
- IBEW Local 494 Statement on Colectivo’s Union-Busting Meetings - International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 494 - Feb 17th, 2021
- Colectivo Workers Petition for Union Election - Graham Kilmer - Feb 16th, 2021
- Colectivo Closes Prospect Avenue Cafe - Graham Kilmer - Jan 18th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Local Unions Confront The Wealthy - Bruce Murphy - Nov 30th, 2020
- Colectivo Union Pushes ‘Reverse Boycott’ - Graham Kilmer - Nov 25th, 2020
- Did Colectivo Hire Union Busters? - Graham Kilmer - Oct 8th, 2020
- Mayor Tom Barrett released the following statement on workers organizing at Colectivo: - Mayor Tom Barrett - Oct 2nd, 2020
- County Supervisors Express Support for Colectivo Workers Union - Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors - Sep 25th, 2020
- We have your back, Colectivo workers - Milwaukee Common Council - Sep 22nd, 2020
- Colectivo workers deserve a platform to have their voices heard - Ald. Khalif Rainey - Sep 21st, 2020
Read more about Union Effort at Colectivo here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Khalif Rainey
Statement of Alderman Khalif J. Rainey December 21, 2020
Statement of Alderman Khalif J. Rainey November 18, 2020