Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee Extends Meal Distribution Program
Clubs support Milwaukee students as they begin the 2020-’21 school year remotely
MILWAUKEE, Wis. – (August 3, 2020) – Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee (BGCGM) has made the decision to extend its meal distribution program. The program was slated to end July 27, but with the announcement that Milwaukee school students will be learning remotely to begin the 2020-’21 school year, many students’ access to nutrition will be restricted.
“Thousands of kids in Milwaukee won’t be able to rely on school and after school programs to supplement their nutritional needs, and the pandemic has only exacerbated the challenge some families face providing quality food to their families,” said BGCGM President and CEO, Kathy Thornton-Bias. “Boys & Girls Clubs will always remain committed to supporting those who need us most, especially in times of crisis.”
Families can visit one of the following BGCGM Clubs distributing meals every Monday from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. or while supplies last. Each family is provided with three meals per day for seven days for each child 18 and under in their home for a total of 21 meals per child each week.
- Daniels-Mardak Club (4834 N. 35th St, Milwaukee, WI 53209)
- LaVarnway Club (2739 N. 15th St, Milwaukee, WI 53206)
- Don & Sallie Davis Club (1975 S. 24th St, Milwaukee, WI 53204)
Since the pandemic began in mid-March, BGCGM has distributed more than 220,000 meals. A new end-date for the program has not yet been determined.
In addition to meal distribution, BGCGM is also supporting Milwaukee’s youth with in-Club summer programming at several sites. Clubs are operating with reduced capacity and extensive safety protocols in place. Virtual programming is also available at bgcmilwaukee.org. These efforts are a reflection of BGCGM’s commitment to do whatever it takes to ensure kids in under-resourced Milwaukee communities thrive academically, socially, and personally, especially during challenging times.
About Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee
Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee (BGCGM) is one of the largest and longest youth-serving agencies in Milwaukee and the largest Boys & Girls Club in the country. With 45 locations in the city of Milwaukee, BGCGM provides youth ages 4-18 with fun, enriching after-school and summer programming including academic support, mentorship, organized athletics, arts, and nutritious meals. Our programs strengthen academic performance, build character, encourage healthy lifestyles, and meet the basic needs of Milwaukee’s youth. More than 80 percent of BGCGM’s annual budget goes toward youth programming. Learn more at www.bgcmilwaukee.org.
- WI Daily: 116 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 17th, 2021
- WI Daily: 232 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 16th, 2021
- About The CDC’s New Mask Guidance - Erik Gunn - May 16th, 2021
- WI Daily: 550 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 16th, 2021
- WI Daily: 513 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 14th, 2021
- Fully Vaccinated People Can Resume Activities Without Masks - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - May 14th, 2021
- Bill Would Ban UW-System Vaccine Requirements - Henry Redman - May 14th, 2021
- WI Daily: 485 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 13th, 2021
- State Approves COVID-19 Vaccine for Kids 12 and Older - Erik Gunn - May 13th, 2021
- Brewers Home Games to be at Full Capacity Beginning June 25 - Milwaukee Brewers - May 13th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee
Generosity in action demonstrated as hundreds of kids receive gifts during the 2020 Toy Drive
2020 Holiday Toy Drive kicks off with goal of providing kids with a joyous and bright holiday season
The Clubs offering in-person support for virtual learning students during school year