Ahead of Pence Visit, Health Care Workers and Wisconsin Democrats Blast Administration for Prolonging Pandemic, Slowing Economic Recovery
"No community is immune from COVID-19 -- we’ve seen that everywhere across this state, whether it’s here in Janesville or cities or rural communities, the virus has reached everywhere because of Trump's failures."
(WISCONSIN) — Ahead of Mike Pence’s visit to Janesville, Congressman Mark Pocan and State Rep. Deb Kolste called out the Trump administration’s failures in addressing the COVID-19 pandemic. By refusing to listen to science and contain the virus, Trump and the Republicans’ chaotic response has hurt Wisconsinites, deepened the pandemic’s economic toll, and prolonged the spread of COVID-19. The failed economic policies of the Trump administration were already gutting Wisconsin’s industries. Now, because of their deliberate downplaying of the virus, pandemic, working families across the state are struggling and industries are collapsing.
Watch the full event here or read excerpts of what the speakers said below.
State Rep. Deb Kolste: “I’m an elected representative here, a business owner, I manage a small farm, and I am a medical technologist who’s been in medicine for five decades. The mere fact that nearly 200,000 people have died, and Pence comes here and flaunts their recognition that they think they’ve handled this is just an atrocity. If they had been honest in the first place we could have stopped this. This is just sad leadership… Governor Evers and Democrats have offered common sense solutions and yet the Republicans have followed Trump’s lead in ignoring this. Our health care system has been stretched thin… As a business owner myself, I run a farm, we’ve seen the struggle of our many friends in this time and with the workforce and how they’re having to struggle through all of this. No community is immune from COVID-19 — we’ve seen that everywhere across this state, whether it’s here in Janesville or cities or rural communities, the virus has reached everywhere because of Trump’s failures. Businesses will remain shuttered the longer we ignore the situation, and Pence coming to Janesville and ignoring these public health things that we’ve know forever, it’s just wrong, it’s immoral.”
- Marquette Plans In-Person Classes in Fall - Graham Kilmer - Mar 2nd, 2021
- WI Daily: 308 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 1st, 2021
- Wisconsin Anticipates First Shipment of Johnson & Johnson Vaccine - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Mar 1st, 2021
- Marquette University announces in-person plans for fall 2021 semester - Marquette University - Mar 1st, 2021
- Dane County Drops Most Fines Against Dance Studio - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Mar 1st, 2021
- Back in the News: Uline Workers Suffer Higher COVID-19 Rates - Bruce Murphy - Mar 1st, 2021
- Groups Now Eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Mar 1st, 2021
- WI Daily: 464 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 28th, 2021
- WI Daily: 689 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 27th, 2021
- HDA Statement on FDA Authorization of Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine - Healthcare Distribution Alliance - Feb 27th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here