Ahead of Pence Visit, Health Care Workers and Wisconsin Democrats Blast Administration for Prolonging Pandemic, Slowing Economic Recovery
"No community is immune from COVID-19 -- we’ve seen that everywhere across this state, whether it’s here in Janesville or cities or rural communities, the virus has reached everywhere because of Trump's failures."
(WISCONSIN) — Ahead of Mike Pence’s visit to Janesville, Congressman Mark Pocan and State Rep. Deb Kolste called out the Trump administration’s failures in addressing the COVID-19 pandemic. By refusing to listen to science and contain the virus, Trump and the Republicans’ chaotic response has hurt Wisconsinites, deepened the pandemic’s economic toll, and prolonged the spread of COVID-19. The failed economic policies of the Trump administration were already gutting Wisconsin’s industries. Now, because of their deliberate downplaying of the virus, pandemic, working families across the state are struggling and industries are collapsing.
Watch the full event here or read excerpts of what the speakers said below.
State Rep. Deb Kolste: “I’m an elected representative here, a business owner, I manage a small farm, and I am a medical technologist who’s been in medicine for five decades. The mere fact that nearly 200,000 people have died, and Pence comes here and flaunts their recognition that they think they’ve handled this is just an atrocity. If they had been honest in the first place we could have stopped this. This is just sad leadership… Governor Evers and Democrats have offered common sense solutions and yet the Republicans have followed Trump’s lead in ignoring this. Our health care system has been stretched thin… As a business owner myself, I run a farm, we’ve seen the struggle of our many friends in this time and with the workforce and how they’re having to struggle through all of this. No community is immune from COVID-19 — we’ve seen that everywhere across this state, whether it’s here in Janesville or cities or rural communities, the virus has reached everywhere because of Trump’s failures. Businesses will remain shuttered the longer we ignore the situation, and Pence coming to Janesville and ignoring these public health things that we’ve know forever, it’s just wrong, it’s immoral.”
- WI Daily: Active Hospitalizations Cross 500 For First Time - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 23rd, 2020
- State’s College Towns Top U.S. Pandemic List - Bridgit Bowden - Sep 23rd, 2020
- Republicans Fight Evers Mask Order - Erik Gunn - Sep 23rd, 2020
- WI Daily: Record Number of People Hospitalized with COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 22nd, 2020
- Governor Evers Violates State Law Again with Third COVID Emergency Declaration - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Sep 22nd, 2020
- DPW Statement on 200,000 Coronavirus Deaths - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Sep 22nd, 2020
- State Prisons Charging Inmates for Masks - Gretchen Schuldt - Sep 22nd, 2020
- Baldwin Calls On Republicans to Stand for Science, Support Bill to Stop Trump Administration’s Political Interference in COVID-19 Response - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Sep 22nd, 2020
- Is UW-Madison Spreading COVID-19? - Henry Redman - Sep 22nd, 2020
- Evers Declares New Health Emergency, Extends Mask Mandate - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 22nd, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here