Ahead of Mike Pence’s Visit, State Treasurer Sarah Godlewski, State Rep. Robyn Vining, Highlight Trump’s Leadership Failures
"Having a president that will fight the pandemic, protect our health care, and rebuild our economy stronger than it was before is the future that Wisconsinites deserve."
(WISCONSIN) — Ahead of Mike Pence‘s visit to Wisconsin, State Treasurer Sarah Godlewski, State Rep. Robyn Vining, and Jennifer May, whose family has pre-existing conditions, held a video press conference to highlight the Trump administration’s attacks on the Affordable Care Act and failed coronavirus response which has devastated Wisconsin’s economy. For four years, Donald Trump’s weak leadership led to the decline of Wisconsin’s industries and small businesses, and left behind working Wisconsinites, including his constant attacks on the ACA protections that as many as 2.4 million Wisconsinites depend on. Trump has made it perfectly clear that he will put insurance companies and the largest corporations over working families every time.
Watch the full event here or read excerpts of what the speakers said below.
Sarah Godlewski: “As State Treasurer, our economy is only as healthy as our community, and we will not get our country back on track until we get this virus under control. This administration has failed to provide a united plan for the United States, and our state and our country are struggling, starting with small businesses. Small businesses are critical, as they make up 99% of Wisconsin’s economy… Our current situation should have been avoided if Trump had a plan. Further, back in May, when they saw stimulus money go to large corporations and pharmaceutical companies leaving many of them behind, it went to Wall Street, not Main Street… Our state deserves real leadership in the face of this pandemic, and that’s why Wisconsinites right now are voting to put Joe Biden and Kamala Harris in the White House; they actually have a comprehensive and inclusive plan guided by public health experts and science that will rebuild our economy. We have 21 days to change the direction of this country, and we will be voting for Joe and Kamala to build back better.”
Jennifer May: “Growing up, my family never had health care… having the Affordable Care Act in place provides them coverage that they did not get as children… If the Affordable Care Act is repealed, people with pre-existing conditions like all three of my siblings would not be covered, and thousands of other people as well… COVID affects peoples’ lungs, and my brother’s genetic disease, cystic fibrosis, affects their lungs already, so they’re at an even higher risk, and removing their health care would be detrimental to them right now. Trump has promised multiple times that he would keep protections for pre-existing conditions in place… and nothing has materialized… I’m worried that the case before the Supreme Court might strike down the ACA and then my siblings will not have any protections in place for them… I voted for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris because I know that they will protect people like all of my siblings, keep the Affordable Care Act in place, and protect people with pre-existing conditions.”
- AG Kaul, MKE Exec Crowley, Assembly Candidate Emily Siegrist Call Out Trump Ahead of Visit - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Oct 24th, 2020
- Democratic Party of Wisconsin Statement on Donald Trump Visit to West Salem - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Oct 23rd, 2020
- Sen. Tammy Baldwin Statement on Last Night’s Debate - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Oct 23rd, 2020
- The Collective Launches National Voter Engagement Effort in Milwaukeee - The Collective PAC - Oct 23rd, 2020
- Milwaukee Launches Voter Education, Ballot Counting Website - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 22nd, 2020
- Milwaukee A Leader In By-Mail and In-Person Early Voting - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 21st, 2020
- City of Milwaukee Election Commission Launches 414 Votes Website Featuring Daily Voter Tracker - Mayor Tom Barrett - Oct 21st, 2020
- Democratic Party of Wisconsin Statement on Donald Trump Visit to Wisconsin - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Oct 21st, 2020
- Barrett, Others Stump for Biden-Harris - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 21st, 2020
- Where and When To Vote Early in Milwaukee - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 20th, 2020
Read more about 2020 General Election here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Democratic Party of Wisconsin
AG Josh Kaul: “We are more than six months into this pandemic, and I challenge anybody to answer this simple question: what is Donald Trump’s plan to fight the pandemic? ... The answers to those questions are simple, they don’t have a plan.”