Michael Gableman Has No Shame
Head of GOP election probe was a nasty bully, making slanderous, irresponsible charges to Assembly committee.
If you missed Michael Gableman’s testimony at the Wisconsin Assembly Committee on Campaigns and Elections on Wednesday, you’re a better person for it.
Because you would not have enjoyed seeing this bully in action. Trust me.
He went after the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s longtime Capitol reporter, Patrick Marley, referring to him as an “activist” and deriding the newspaper itself because of its unflattering coverage of Gableman. This kind of a personal attack on journalists from officials is something we haven’t seen in this state for decades.
He contemptuously tangled with Rep. Mark Spreitzer, yelling “Shame on you” at the legislator, which is way out of line for a witness. Even more out of line was when Gableman demanded that a comment from Sprietzer be “stricken” from the record, as though Gableman were still a judge and not a political hack in the employ of Robin Vos.
He made wildly irresponsible charges about the mayors of Green Bay and Madison, saying they were “running and hiding” from him when, in fact, they did what anyone would do when getting a subpoena, which is to get a lawyer and defend themselves. He acted as though they do not deserve legal representation or the presumption of innocence.
He made false and slanderous accusations about the Wisconsin Elections Commission, saying that they had admitted to engaging in illegal conduct when, in fact, they’ve done no such thing.
He was rude, rude, rude – and sexist, too. He snarled at Rep. Jodi Emerson because she wouldn’t have coffee with him!
Gableman has neither the temperament nor the experience (he’s admitted he doesn’t know how elections work) nor the impartiality to be involved in any way in examining our elections.
And now he’s hired on to his staff other extremely biased partisans, like Andrew Kloster, who worked in the Trump Administration and also said the election was stolen. And Kloster has said worse things. In April he wrote that rightwingers need their own “irate hooligans” and “kept district attorneys” to let hooligans like the Proud Boys “off the hook.” That’s an incitement to far right vigilantes everywhere, and a celebration of corrupt law enforcement, to boot. Why are Wisconsin taxpayers paying Kloster’s salary?
Another person on staff is Ron Heuer, also a former Trump administration official. Heuer heads the misnamed Wisconsin Voter Alliance, which urged the Wisconsin Supreme Court to toss out the results of Wisconsin’s presidential election and let the Legislature choose the state’s presidential electors. Why are Wisconsin taxpayers paying Heuer’s salary?
And why are Wisconsin taxpayers paying Gableman’s salary of $11,000 a month?
The sham that Gableman is running is shaming Wisconsin before the eyes of the entire country, and it’s an awful waste of our taxpayer dollars.
- Court Rejects Kaul Suit to Stop GOP Election Probe’s Subpoena - Laurel White - Jan 11th, 2022
- Sen. Carpenter Requests Legislative Audit of Michael Gableman’s Commission - State Sen. Tim Carpenter - Jan 10th, 2022
- Op Ed: Hold Wisconsin’s Fraudulent Electors Accountable - Jeffrey Mandell - Jan 6th, 2022
- Republicans Expand Election Probe - Laurel White - Jan 4th, 2022
- Quit ‘Chasing Conspiracy Theories,’ Kaul Urges Republicans - Shawn Johnson - Dec 15th, 2021
- Vos Can’t Say When Election Probe Will End - Laurel White - Dec 15th, 2021
- Key Republican Bashes GOP Elections Probe - Laurel White - Dec 14th, 2021
- Op Ed: International Election Observers Would Give Wisconsin a Failing Grade - Laura Thornton - Dec 9th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Condemns GOP Attack on Election Officials - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Dec 6th, 2021
- Gableman Asks Court to Arrest Madison, Green Bay Mayors - Henry Redman - Dec 6th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here