Evers Vetoes Republican Legislative Maps
Veto sends redistricting process to court. But which court?
Gov. Tony Evers vetoed Republican-drawn political maps Thursday, setting the stage for a legal battle which will decide Wisconsin’s legislative and congressional districts for the next decade.
The maps, passed last week by the Legislature, were described by Republicans as a “least changes” approach, retaining as much as possible of the previous maps while adjusting for population. The previous maps, passed in 2011, have been described by experts as one of the most severe partisan gerrymanders in the country.
“I’ve said all along I’d veto these maps if they came to my desk,” Evers said in a video veto message. “They’re gerrymandering 2.0.”
Now, the maps will be sent to court, but it’s unclear which court will be the one to ultimately resolve the matter. There are cases pending in both federal and state courts.
Republicans want the case decided by the Wisconsin Supreme Court, where conservatives hold a 4-3 majority. On Wednesday, that court issued an order outlining key dates for the case and setting a date for a potential hearing in mid-January.
Democrats want the matter dealt with in federal court, which has a long history of resolving redistricting disputes and drawing maps. The three-judge federal panel hearing Wisconsin’s case had initially indicated it would hold a trial in January, but has since backed off, indicating that it will yield to state courts for now.
Editor’s note: This story will be updated.
- State Supreme Court Rules For ‘Least Changes’ to Redistricting - Shawn Johnson - Nov 30th, 2021
- AG Kaul Issues Statement on Wisconsin Supreme Court Redistricting Decision - Wisconsin Department of Justice - Nov 30th, 2021
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Adopts Criteria for Redistricting in WILL Lawsuit - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Nov 30th, 2021
- Statement on SCOWIS Decision - Fair Elections Project - Nov 30th, 2021
- Evers Vetoes Republican Legislative Maps - Bridgit Bowden - Nov 18th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Vetoes GOP’s “Gerrymandering 2.0” Maps - Gov. Tony Evers - Nov 18th, 2021
- Data Wonk: Comparing GOP And People’s Maps - Bruce Thompson - Nov 17th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen’s Statement on Gerrymandered Republican Maps: Same Poop in a New Toilet - State Rep. David Bowen - Nov 11th, 2021
- Expressing Disappointment in Rep. Ortiz-Velez for Carrying Water for Republican Speaker Robin Vos at the Expense of Our Constituents - Ald. JoCasta Zamarripa - Nov 11th, 2021
- Rep. Robyn Vining Votes Against Gerrymandered Maps, Supports Fair Maps - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Nov 11th, 2021
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here