Democrats Call for Virtual Joint Finance Hearing
Pandemic created 'significant barriers’ for many citizens who couldn’t attend in-person hearings.
Four Wisconsin elected officials have issued a joint letter to the co-chairs of the Joint Finance Committee (JFC), requesting that an additional virtual public hearing be held on the 2021-23 state budget. Sens. Jon Erpenbach (D-West Point) and LaTonya Johnson (D-Milwaukee), along with Reps. Evan Goyke (D-Milwaukee) and Greta Neubauer (D-Racine), issued the letter to Senate Co-chair Howard Marklein (R-Spring Green) and Assembly Co-chair Mark Born (R-Beaver Dam).
“As you know,” the letter states, “the current public health crisis related to the COVID-19 pandemic has created significant barriers to Wisconsinites accessing the in-person public hearings. This has caused a greater need for virtual options for public participation and testimony, as highlighted by 105 Wisconsin organizations in a letter sent to the committee in February.”
High public demand compelled the four elected officials to request that a second virtual meeting be scheduled. “Public input on the state budget is a vital part of the budget process,” the letter states. It adds that, “the Joint Committee on Finance has a responsibility to ensure that everyone can participate safely.”
The Republican leaders of the Legislature have signaled that they plan to scrap Gov. Tony Evers’ proposed 2021-23 budget, which contains several bold policy proposals, and replace it with their own budget plan. Evers has scheduled six Badger Bounceback Live sessions seeking public input on different aspects of the budget.
Reprinted with permission of Wisconsin Examiner.
- Dems Object to GOP Slashing State Budget Provisions - Erik Gunn - May 14th, 2021
- Wisconsin Republicans Slash Gov. Tony Evers’ Liberal Wish List - Republican Party of Wisconsin - May 6th, 2021
- Rep. Robyn Vining: Statement on Joint Committee on Finance Removal of Important Provisions from State Budget - State Rep. Robyn Vining - May 6th, 2021
- Republicans Cut Billions from Evers’ Budget Proposal - Shawn Johnson - May 6th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Calls on Wisconsinites to Contact Their Legislators - Gov. Tony Evers - May 6th, 2021
- Americans For Prosperity – Wisconsin’s Statement on Forthcoming JFC Action on Gov. Evers’s Budget - AFP Wisconsin - May 5th, 2021
- GOP Sends Mixed Message To Evers - Melanie Conklin - May 4th, 2021
- Public Testimony Backs Evers Budget - Melanie Conklin - Apr 28th, 2021
- Dem Leaders Promote Climate Action - Isiah Holmes - Apr 22nd, 2021
- Big cities and small towns sing the same tune at Joint Finance Committee hearing - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - Apr 21st, 2021
Read more about 2021-2023 Wisconsin Budget here