Boycott the Uline Corporation
Company gave millions to group sponsoring Capitol insurrection, opposed pandemic measures, endangered employees’ health.
I’m calling for a boycott of the Uline Corporation, the giant packaging company based in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin.
Spurring me on for this call is an alum of Northwestern, who heard a report on WBEZ radio that the owners of Uline, Richard and Elizabeth Uihlein, had funded a group that was involved in the Jan. 6 coup attempt.
The Northwestern alum discovered that the university had recently signed a contract with Uline, and wrote a letter of protest to the school.
“I can not in good faith give any donations to a University that will turn around and do business with anyone who supports domestic terrorism,” the alum wrote, according to the Daily Northwestern. “I would imagine that many of your students and their parents would also not be happy about tuition dollars making their way to these organizations as well.”
Northwestern responded that it is reviewing the contract because of “concerns about the social responsibility of companies we partner with.”
I hope other Northwestern alums will also pressure the university to cut its ties with Uline.
But why stop there?
We need a nationwide boycott of Uline.
Their owners love to throw their weight around in our political system, and so they should bear the costs of alienating their customers.
Richard Uihlein has given more than $136 million to Republican and rightwing federal candidates and campaign committees, and Elizabeth Uihlein has given millions more.
They also are huge donors in Wisconsin politics, giving more than $1,600,000 to candidates and committees, most of that over the last 15 years.
They spent $117,000 on conservative candidates for the Wisconsin Supreme Court between 2007 and 2019.
And they gave $166,500 to the Committee to Elect a Republican Senate here in Wisconsin between 2011 and 2020.
What’s more, the Uline company is facing accusations that it has not done enough to protect its employees from COVID-19. The Guardian newspaper reported on Feb. 28 that “at least 14% of Uline’s corporate workforce has tested positive for COVID-19 since last April, compared to 8.7% of the population in Kenosha county, where the company’s corporate office is located.” (Thanks to Bruce Murphy of Urban Milwaukee for lifting up the Guardian story.)
According to the Guardian, one Uline employee filed a complaint with OSHA. One example that employee cited was “the company’s hosting of a ‘lunch-and-learn’ meeting with former Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker. A photograph of the meeting showed unmasked employees sitting closely together listening to Walker, a Republican, also standing without a mask.”
If you’re disgusted by the way the Uihleins throw their money around, and if you’re appalled by the funding of the Jan. 6 rally, and if you’re dismayed by the reports of lax COVID-19 policies at the company, then boycott the Uline Corporation and tell your friends to do so, also
Reprinted with permission of Wisconsin Examiner.
- Plover Man Charged in U.S. Capital Attack - Deneen Smith - May 14th, 2022
- Ron Johnson Attended Meeting To Oppose Election Certification - Henry Redman - Feb 5th, 2022
- Op Ed: Wisconsin’s January 6 Collaborators - Matt Rothschild - Jan 9th, 2022
- Rep. Robyn Vining Statement on the One-Year Anniversary of the United States Capitol Insurrection - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Jan 6th, 2022
- Op Ed: Hold Wisconsin’s Fraudulent Electors Accountable - Jeffrey Mandell - Jan 6th, 2022
- Joint Statement on the One-Year Anniversary of the Capitol Insurrection - State Rep. Jonathan Brostoff - Jan 6th, 2022
- One Year After January 6th Insurrection, Wisconsinites Haven’t Forgotten Ron Johnson’s Dangerous Efforts to Undermine U.S. Democracy - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jan 6th, 2022
- Six Wisconsinites Charged in Capitol Insurrection - Rob Mentzer - Jan 6th, 2022
- AG Kaul Issues Statement on One-Year Anniversary of U.S. Capitol Insurrection - Wisconsin Department of Justice - Jan 6th, 2022
- Op Ed: Van Orden Complicit in January 6 Riot? - Bill Kaplan - Jan 4th, 2022
Read more about Chaos at the Capitol here