34 Vaccine Doses Spoil at Wisconsin Center
Miscommunication causes loss, as city rushed to contact unscheduled recipients.
The Milwaukee Health Department ran into trouble at its COVID-19 clinic on Monday, March 1st.
The city prepared more doses of the Moderna variant of the vaccine than there were eligible people to take them. As a result, 34 perishable doses expired at the city’s mass vaccination clinic at the Wisconsin Center.
This, however, was a reduction from the 140 doses the health department had expected to waste. The department said it “rushed” to contact unscheduled, but eligible vaccine recipients.
The department said this is the first time any doses have gone unused at its clinic. March 1st was the first day teachers were eligible to receive the vaccine.
“It is clear at this stage that no intentional or malicious action was involved in the incident,” said the department. “Process changes have already been implemented to prevent a repetition.”
A total of 1,058 doses of the vaccine, including both the Moderna and Pfizer variants, were administered Monday. More than 25,000 doses have been administered at the facility since it opened in January.
- Milwaukee County Announces New Policies Related to COVID-19 Pandemic - County Executive David Crowley - May 9th, 2023
- DHS Details End of Emergency COVID-19 Response - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Apr 26th, 2023
- Milwaukee Health Department Announces Upcoming Changes to COVID-19 Services - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Mar 17th, 2023
- Fitzgerald Applauds Passage of COVID-19 Origin Act - U.S. Rep Scott Fitzgerald - Mar 10th, 2023
- DHS Expands Free COVID-19 Testing Program - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Feb 10th, 2023
- MKE County: COVID-19 Hospitalizations Rising - Graham Kilmer - Jan 16th, 2023
- Not Enough Getting Bivalent Booster Shots, State Health Officials Warn - Gaby Vinick - Dec 26th, 2022
- Nearly All Wisconsinites Age 6 Months and Older Now Eligible for Updated COVID-19 Vaccine - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Dec 15th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Bi-Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Dec 9th, 2022
- MKE County: COVID-19 Disease Burden Remains Stable - Graham Kilmer - Nov 25th, 2022
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here