Judge Dismisses Sidney Powell’s Suit to Overturn State Election
Federal judge says she lacked standing to throw out the election
A federal judge has dismissed another one of the Republican lawsuits seeking to overturn President-elect Joe Biden‘s victory in Wisconsin’s election, dealing an additional legal blow to President Donald Trump and his allies.
The lawsuit was filed by attorney Sidney Powell, who has filed similar cases in other swing states around the country.
Powell’s initial lawsuit in Wisconsin included conspicuous errors.
For example, it listed as a lead plaintiff Derrick Van Orden, a Republican who ran against Democratic U.S. Rep. Ron Kind in the November election. Van Orden said he found out about the lawsuit on social media and did not consent to being named as a plaintiff. A later version of the lawsuit included only La Crosse County Republican Party Chair Bill Feehan as the plaintiff.
Powell’s initial Wisconsin lawsuit also asked for security camera footage from the TCF Center, a location where absentee ballots were processed. But the TCF Center is in Detroit, not Wisconsin.
The lawsuit alleged “massive election fraud,” asking the court to direct Gov. Tony Evers to “de-certify” the election results and declare President Donald Trump the winner.
Pepper’s order did not get into the merits of the case, saying she lacked the authority as a federal judge to do what the case was asking.
“Federal judges do not appoint the president in this country,” Pepper wrote. “One wonders why the plaintiffs came to federal court and asked a federal judge to do so. After a week of sometimes odd and often harried litigation, the court is no closer to answering the ‘why.’ But this federal court has no authority or jurisdiction to grant the relief the remaining plaintiff seeks.”
Pepper was nominated for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin by President Barack Obama.
One of the cases, which was filed by Trump in federal court, had a hearing scheduled for Thursday morning. The other, filed by Trump’s campaign in state court, had a hearing scheduled for Thursday afternoon.
Trump’s campaign has also joined a lawsuit filed by the Republican attorney general of Texas seeking to overturn the results of the election in Wisconsin, Georgia, Michigan and Pennsylvania. That case was filed directly with the U.S. Supreme Court.
The Wisconsin Supreme Court rejected two other lawsuits filed last week by Wisconsin voters seeking to overturn the election.
The state Supreme Court also rejected Trump’s state lawsuit, but left the door open for the president’s campaign to file the case in circuit court.
Federal Judge Dismisses Another Case Seeking To Overturn Wisconsin’s Election was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Data Wonk: New Voters Won the 2020 Election - Bruce Thompson - Jan 20th, 2021
- GOP State Legislators Asked Pence to Not Certify Election - Melanie Conklin - Jan 14th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Condemns Republican Legislators’ Lies and Dangerous Rhetoric - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Jan 14th, 2021
- Tiffany, Fitzgerald Object To Some Biden Electors - Shawn Johnson - Jan 7th, 2021
- Sen. Baldwin: “It’s Disgraceful” - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Rep Moore Blames Trump for Today’s Chaos - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Rep. Gallagher: “We are witnessing absolute banana republic crap in the United States Capitol right now” - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Back in the News: Cleta Mitchell Resigns from Foley Firm - Bruce Murphy - Jan 5th, 2021
- Gallagher Assails GOP Push to Nullify Election - Rob Mentzer - Jan 5th, 2021
- Back in the News: Foley Firm Faces Blowback on Trump Call - Bruce Murphy - Jan 5th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Federal Judge Tears Apart Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Jan 4th, 2021
- Op Ed: Hagedorn Wisconsin’s Person of The Year - John Torinus - Dec 30th, 2020
- Trump Asks U.S. Supreme Court to Overturn Wisconsin’s Election - Graham Kilmer - Dec 29th, 2020
- Trump campaign: Takes Wisconsin constitutional fight to Supreme Court - Donald Trump - Dec 29th, 2020
- Wisconsin Republicans Join New Federal Election Lawsuit - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 23rd, 2020
- Justices Face Anti-Semitic, Misogynist Attacks After Trump Ruling - Ruth Conniff - Dec 18th, 2020
- Ron Johnson Parrots Trump’s Rejected Legal Arguments - Shawn Johnson - Dec 17th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Why Republicans Won’t End Election Complaints - Bruce Murphy - Dec 14th, 2020
- Statement of Republican Electors Meeting - Republican Party of Wisconsin - Dec 14th, 2020
- AG Kaul Issues Statement on Wisconsin Supreme Court Ruling on the Challenge to Wisconsin’s Election Results - Josh Kaul - Dec 14th, 2020
Read more about Trump's Election Lawsuits here