Evers Slams Paxton for Lawsuit
Texas AG “under investigation” trying to deny "the votes of the people in Wisconsin.”
While the Texas attorney general is suing Wisconsin and three other states for allowing people to vote from home during the COVID-19 pandemic, Gov. Tony Evers calls the accusation “outrageous” and points out that the accuser is under federal investigation.
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton announced the lawsuit Tuesday, taking the case directly to the U.S. Supreme Court. It accuses Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin of failing to prevent vote-by-mail fraud — despite bipartisan agreement by state and national election officials that the 2020 election was the most secure in history and that President Donald Trump has no credible evidence for his allegations to the contrary. The lawsuit asks the high court to delay the Dec. 14 deadline for the electoral college to cast votes for president.
A reporter asked Evers about the lawsuit during the governor’s media briefing with the state Department of Health Services (DHS) on the COVID-19 pandemic Tuesday.
“Think of the irony here,” Evers replied. “We have a Texas Attorney General who’s being investigated by the FBI for various improprieties and numerous newspapers in Texas calling for his resignation. And he teams up with President Trump to try to take away the votes of the people in Wisconsin.”
The Associated Press reported in November that the FBI was investigating Paxton on accusations of bribery using his office to benefit a wealthy donor following allegations made by members of the attorney general’s staff, who were subsequently fired. Paxton also remains under an indictment from 2015 for securities fraud.
“It’s irony, but it’s not funny irony — it’s extraordinarily sad,” Evers said of the lawsuit.
Earlier Tuesday, the governor said, he was discussing the cold weather coming on, the plight of homeless people, the “extraordinarily difficult winter with nonprofits not being able to raise money because of the pandemic” and the prospect that shelters across the state will stay closed as volunteers stay away out of fear of the coronavirus.
“And then we have this happen, and we have to focus our energy, because some person that’s being federally investigated in Texas is trying to take away the votes of the people in Wisconsin,” Evers said. “I just think it’s outrageous. It’d be funny, if we didn’t have all these other things going on, but it’s just outrageous.
“The president shouldn’t be hanging out with people like this.”
Reprinted with permission of Wisconsin Examiner.
- Judge Orders Gableman To Pay $163,000 In Legal Fees - Rich Kremer - Aug 2nd, 2022
- Prosecute 2020 Fake Electors, Advocates Demand - Erik Gunn - Aug 1st, 2022
- Trump Calls For Nullification of Wisconsin’s 2020 Election - Henry Redman - Jul 12th, 2022
- Legal Fight Over Gableman Probe Keeps Growing - Shawn Johnson - Jun 30th, 2022
- Back In the News: Fake Elector Scheme Dogs Ron Johnson - Bruce Murphy - Jun 28th, 2022
- Judge Lifts Contempt Order for Speaker Vos - Rich Kremer - Jun 24th, 2022
- Gableman’s Office Held in Contempt of Court - Madeline Fox - Jun 10th, 2022
- Murphy’s Law: The Bradley Foundation’s Election Deniers - Bruce Murphy - Jun 7th, 2022
- The State of Politics: ‘Telling The Truth’ Led to Knudson Resignation - Steven Walters - Jun 6th, 2022
- Gableman Election Review $220,500 Over Budget - Henry Redman - Jun 2nd, 2022
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Op Ed: Hold Wisconsin’s Fraudulent Electors Accountable - Jeffrey Mandell - Jan 6th, 2022
- Data Wonk: How Fox Spread Lies About State’s Election - Bruce Thompson - Mar 31st, 2021
- ‘Kraken’ Lawsuits Not Based on Facts - Graham Kilmer - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Supreme Court Brushes Off Trump Election Challenge - Graham Kilmer - Mar 8th, 2021
- U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Wisconsin ‘Kraken’ Suit - Graham Kilmer - Mar 1st, 2021
- Data Wonk: High Court Minority Embarrasses Itself - Bruce Thompson - Feb 24th, 2021
- Supreme Court Denies Trump’s Wisconsin Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Data Wonk: With Donald Trump It’s Never Over - Bruce Thompson - Feb 17th, 2021
- Federal Judge Tears Apart Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Jan 4th, 2021
- Op Ed: Hagedorn Wisconsin’s Person of The Year - John Torinus - Dec 30th, 2020
Read more about Trump's Election Lawsuits here