Evers Slams Paxton for Lawsuit
Texas AG “under investigation” trying to deny "the votes of the people in Wisconsin.”
While the Texas attorney general is suing Wisconsin and three other states for allowing people to vote from home during the COVID-19 pandemic, Gov. Tony Evers calls the accusation “outrageous” and points out that the accuser is under federal investigation.
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton announced the lawsuit Tuesday, taking the case directly to the U.S. Supreme Court. It accuses Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin of failing to prevent vote-by-mail fraud — despite bipartisan agreement by state and national election officials that the 2020 election was the most secure in history and that President Donald Trump has no credible evidence for his allegations to the contrary. The lawsuit asks the high court to delay the Dec. 14 deadline for the electoral college to cast votes for president.
A reporter asked Evers about the lawsuit during the governor’s media briefing with the state Department of Health Services (DHS) on the COVID-19 pandemic Tuesday.
“Think of the irony here,” Evers replied. “We have a Texas Attorney General who’s being investigated by the FBI for various improprieties and numerous newspapers in Texas calling for his resignation. And he teams up with President Trump to try to take away the votes of the people in Wisconsin.”
The Associated Press reported in November that the FBI was investigating Paxton on accusations of bribery using his office to benefit a wealthy donor following allegations made by members of the attorney general’s staff, who were subsequently fired. Paxton also remains under an indictment from 2015 for securities fraud.
“It’s irony, but it’s not funny irony — it’s extraordinarily sad,” Evers said of the lawsuit.
Earlier Tuesday, the governor said, he was discussing the cold weather coming on, the plight of homeless people, the “extraordinarily difficult winter with nonprofits not being able to raise money because of the pandemic” and the prospect that shelters across the state will stay closed as volunteers stay away out of fear of the coronavirus.
“And then we have this happen, and we have to focus our energy, because some person that’s being federally investigated in Texas is trying to take away the votes of the people in Wisconsin,” Evers said. “I just think it’s outrageous. It’d be funny, if we didn’t have all these other things going on, but it’s just outrageous.
“The president shouldn’t be hanging out with people like this.”
Reprinted with permission of Wisconsin Examiner.
- Data Wonk: The Private Election Grants Didn’t Help Biden - Bruce Thompson - Jun 16th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: How Vos Pushes The Big Lie - Bruce Murphy - Jun 1st, 2021
- Hesselbein Votes No to Republican Private Investigators - State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein - May 28th, 2021
- Robin Vos Wasting Taxpayer Resources To Investigate Non-Existent Voter Fraud - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - May 26th, 2021
- Elections Commission to Discuss Suspected Voter Fraud Reports for 2020 and 2021 Elections - Wisconsin Elections Commission - May 24th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The Vanishing Courage of Mike Gallagher - Bruce Murphy - May 11th, 2021
- Op Ed: Liz Cheney’s Profile In Courage - Dave Cieslewicz - May 9th, 2021
- Spindell Gets Second Term on Elections Commission - Henry Redman - Apr 30th, 2021
- A Tale of Two Elections - Melanie Conklin - Apr 26th, 2021
- Elections Commission Head Saw No Problems in Green Bay - Megan Hart - Mar 31st, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Data Wonk: How Fox Spread Lies About State’s Election - Bruce Thompson - Mar 31st, 2021
- ‘Kraken’ Lawsuits Not Based on Facts - Graham Kilmer - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Supreme Court Brushes Off Trump Election Challenge - Graham Kilmer - Mar 8th, 2021
- U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Wisconsin ‘Kraken’ Suit - Graham Kilmer - Mar 1st, 2021
- Data Wonk: High Court Minority Embarrasses Itself - Bruce Thompson - Feb 24th, 2021
- Supreme Court Denies Trump’s Wisconsin Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Data Wonk: With Donald Trump It’s Never Over - Bruce Thompson - Feb 17th, 2021
- Federal Judge Tears Apart Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Jan 4th, 2021
- Op Ed: Hagedorn Wisconsin’s Person of The Year - John Torinus - Dec 30th, 2020
- Trump Asks U.S. Supreme Court to Overturn Wisconsin’s Election - Graham Kilmer - Dec 29th, 2020
Read more about Trump's Election Lawsuits here