Evers Extending Mask Mandate Into 2021
New order expected in coming days, despite pending legal challenges.
Governor Tony Evers will issue a new public health emergency order by the end of the week, continuing a statewide mask mandate into January 2021.
“This isn’t something happening someplace else to somebody else,” said Evers of the pandemic. “Our friends, our neighbors and our loved ones are getting sick.”
“Things have worsened quickly since then,” said Evers. “The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases has tripled.” The number of deaths has doubled. Wisconsin has averaged 6,563 new cases per day over the past week.
“Call it what you want, flattening the curve, stopping the spread, staying safer at home, I’m going to call it what is. It’s about saving lives,” said Evers.
The state reported a record 92 deaths Tuesday and a record 7,989 new cases Wednesday.
The current mandate is scheduled to expire on November 21st. Evers is relying on authority that allows the current order to expire after 60 days and a new one to be issued. That authority was not struck down by a Wisconsin Supreme Court ruling in May that limited Palm’s ability to issue orders.
But Evers’ ability to issue repeated orders is being challenged in court. A separate suit challenges the mask mandate.
He called on Republicans to drop their challenges to the orders. “We have a long road ahead of us Wisconsin, but we know there is light at the end of the tunnel,” said Evers. Multiple vaccines are expected to be rolled out in 2021.
Palm said masks and staying at home will make a difference with more compliance. Dr. Ryan Westergaard, chief medical officer of the DHS Bureau of Communicable Diseases, said 80 to 90 percent compliance was needed with masks to make an impact.
Two orders will be released on Thursday or Friday, said Evers. The first order declares the public health emergency and the follow-up order uses the emergency authority to require masks. The governor said there are no current plans to add additional requirements or restrictions given the May court ruling.
With or without the state orders, the City of Milwaukee maintains its own mask mandate as do a host of other Wisconsin municipalities.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- WI Daily: 3,831 New COVID-19 Cases - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
- WI Daily: 5,033 New COVID-19 Cases, Over Half of Reported Tests - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 28th, 2020
- WI Daily: 1,033 New COVID-19 Cases - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 27th, 2020
- WI Daily: 5,095 New Cases As Hospitalizations Fall - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 26th, 2020
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Blocks Racine School Closure Order, Grants WILL Original Action - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Nov 25th, 2020
- Milwaukee Unemployment Rising - Graham Kilmer - Nov 25th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Testing, Cases Falling - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 25th, 2020
- Think Small on Thanksgiving, Evers Urges - Melanie Conklin - Nov 25th, 2020
- Milwaukee County House of Correction to Launch Soft Opening of Alternate Care Facility on Saturday, November 28 - County Executive David Crowley - Nov 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 Surging in State Prisons - Danielle Kaeding - Nov 25th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
- Evers Issues New COVID-19 Order - Graham Kilmer - Nov 20th, 2020
- Evers Extending Mask Mandate Into 2021 - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 18th, 2020
- High Court Reviews Evers’ Emergency Powers - Shawn Johnson - Nov 16th, 2020
- State Supreme Court Hearing Challenge to Governor’s Emergency Powers - Shawn Johnson - Oct 29th, 2020
- WILL Asks Judge to Decide on Merits in Lawsuit Challenging Gov. Evers’s Emergency Declarations - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Oct 23rd, 2020
- Mask Mandate Targeted by Another Conservative Lawsuit - Shawn Johnson - Oct 16th, 2020
- Data Wonk: How Republicans Screwed Themselves - Bruce Thompson - Oct 14th, 2020
- WILL Pledges Appeal in Lawsuit Challenging Governor Evers’s Emergency Declarations - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Oct 12th, 2020
- Court Upholds Evers Mask Mandate - Shawn Johnson - Oct 12th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement Regarding Circuit Court Decision Leaving Public Health Emergency Intact - Gov. Tony Evers - Oct 12th, 2020
Read more about Statewide Mask Mandate here