Vos Hit By Surge of Outside Spending
In last week outside groups spent nearly $280,000 against him. Foxconn issue in play?
Outside election spending has skyrocketed in the past week against GOP Assembly Speaker Robin Vos in the wake of an investigative report that portrayed the Foxconn project he helped spearhead as a boondoggle.
Last Monday, there was only about $19,300 in independent spending by express advocacy groups against Vos. As of this morning, outside spending against Vos had escalated to about $297,850.
The spending boon comes in the wake of a report by The Verge, a technology industry news website, that shows repeated failures by Foxconn to meet goals in the contract signed in 2017 with the state of Wisconsin. The company pledged to build an LCD factory in southeastern Wisconsin that would create 13,000 jobs in exchange for billions in state subsidies.
As of today an empty building 1/20 th the size of the promised factory sits on the Foxconn site, and the company recently received a permit to use the building as storage instead of a factory.
Democratic Gov. Tony Evers, who was elected in 2018, has repeatedly called for the state contract with Foxconn to be renegotiated, which Vos has opposed.
- Foxconn Deal Doesn’t Reduce Local Government Risk - Corri Hess - May 3rd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The True Costs of New Foxconn Deal - Bruce Murphy - Apr 28th, 2021
- The State of Politics: All Sides Won On New Foxconn Deal - Steven Walters - Apr 26th, 2021
- New Foxconn Deal Cuts Incentives By $2.77 Billion - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 20th, 2021
- Rep Hintz: Statement on Approval of Revised Foxconn Contract - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Apr 20th, 2021
- New Foxconn and WEDC Agreement Provides Flexibility and Clarity for Renewed Tech Investments in Science and Technology Park - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Announces Renegotiated Foxconn Contract to Save Taxpayers $2.77 Billion - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 20th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Statement on Foxconn Announcement - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Apr 19th, 2021
- Evers Announces New, Smaller Foxconn Deal - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 19th, 2021
- Gov. Evers, Foxconn Reach New Agreement - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 19th, 2021
Read more about Foxconn Facility here