Mask-Mandate Won’t Affect Voting In-Person
Even with a mask on, poll workers can verify identity.
Wisconsin election officials say they’ll be able to conduct in-person primary voting on Aug. 11 while Gov. Tony Evers’ new mask requirement is in effect.
The state Elections Commission is conducting additional training and setting additional policies to handle in-person voting during the coronavirus pandemic.
Elections Administrator Meagan Wolfe told WPR’s “The Morning Show” Monday that the Elections Commission voted last week to recommend wearing masks in polling places. But she said poll workers can’t refuse to serve a voter who isn’t wearing one.
“You cannot add any additional qualifications to voting,” Wolfe said. “So if someone is not wearing a mask, they still must be offered the opportunity to cast a ballot.”
“A voter’s still going to reasonably resemble their photo ID, if you can see their eyes, see their hair, see some distinguishing features about the voter,” she said. “However, if the poll worker cannot determine the voter’s identity, they can ask them to very briefly remove their mask so that they can verify their identity.”
Wolfe said the governor’s mask order includes an exception for confirming identity.
Finding poll workers remains a challenge, as many of those who have worked the polls in past elections are choosing not to do so during the pandemic.
During the state’s April election, a shortage of poll workers prompted a number of communities to cut the number of in-person polling places. Evers sent National Guard personnel to serve as poll workers in many areas.
Wolfe said those who are working next week are training to conduct in-person voting safely.
The Elections Commission said that as of Monday, municipal clerks had received 836,469 absentee ballot applications.
The clerks had sent 821,378 ballots and received 331,097.
There were 645,619 ballots cast in the August 2016 primary, according to commission statistics.
Wolfe said in a statement Monday that voters should make sure to send their absentee ballots as soon as possible, to make sure they’re received by the deadline of 8 p.m. on Aug. 11, and to make sure they are signed and witnessed properly so they can be counted.
Voting While Masked? Poll Workers Can Still Verify Your Identity was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- MKE County: County Puts $10.5 Million in Small Business, Employment - Graham Kilmer - Sep 18th, 2020
- Op Ed: Legal Group WILL Opposes Pandemic - Will Flanders, Don Daugherty and Rick Esenberg - Sep 18th, 2020
- School Plans Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Sep 18th, 2020
- WI Daily: 2,533 Cases, 25% Jump To New Record - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 18th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Asks for Resignation of Workforce Development Secretary - Gov. Tony Evers - Sep 18th, 2020
- COVID-19 Increasing in Milwaukee County, Again - Graham Kilmer - Sep 18th, 2020
- Utility Disconnection Moratorium Extended to November - Danielle Kaeding - Sep 18th, 2020
- Ron Johnson Quarantining After COVID-19 Exposure - Ruth Conniff - Sep 18th, 2020
- The City of Milwaukee Phase 4.1 Order Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Sep 18th, 2020
- WI Daily: Over 2,000 New Cases For The First Time - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 17th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
- Evers Wants to Extend Mask Mandate - Erik Gunn - Sep 16th, 2020
- Evers Might Extend Mask Order - Shawn Johnson - Sep 10th, 2020
- The Battle Over Face Masks - Will Cushman - Sep 7th, 2020
- Governor Evers and State Public Health Officials Encourages Residents to Wear a Mask and Limit Exposure Ahead of Labor Day Weekend - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Sep 4th, 2020
- The State of Politics: WILL Judge Shops To Kill Mask Mandate - Steven Walters - Aug 31st, 2020
- Lawsuit Challenges Evers Mask Mandate - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 25th, 2020
- WILL Sues Governor Evers Over Second COVID-19 Emergency Declaration - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Aug 25th, 2020
- Op Ed: Wear a Mask, Boost the Economy - James Rowen - Aug 24th, 2020
- Mask Mandate Applies to Trump Events - Shawn Johnson - Aug 14th, 2020
- GOP Hasn’t Interfered With Mask Mandate - Shawn Johnson - Aug 13th, 2020
Read more about Statewide Mask Mandate here