Film About Milwaukee Police Killing Dontre Hamilton is Free this Week
Filmmaker removes fees to watch award-winning documentary.
In April 2014, the 31-year-old Hamilton, a black male, was shot 14 times after being awoken while sleeping in the park. Officers had previously checked on him twice, but a new officer arrived on the scene later in the day, awoke Hamilton and a scuffle ensued.
The film follows his family’s quest for answers and the aftermath of the tragic incident, including interviews with then-Milwaukee Police Chief Edward A. Flynn and then-police union president Mike Crivello.
Winner of the audience choice award at the Milwaukee Film Festival, the Hollywood Reporter called it “an urgent report from the frontlines of an American crisis.”
“Given the current circumstances, we have decided to remove all barriers to viewing The Blood is at the Doorstep and make it as accessible as possible,” said director Erik Ljung in an email. “Roughly 1,000 people are killed by police each and every year. For every Michael Brown or George Floyd, there are at least another 100 names you have never heard of. Those individuals’ stories are no less tragic or painful for the communities in which they happen, and Dontre’s is just one of the many that you may have never heard of.”
For more on how the film, see my 2017 interview with Ljung, then a Milwaukee resident. A filmmaker that frequently travels, he currently lives in Chicago.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Group Repainting Defund Mural, MPD Watches - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 5th, 2020
- Protest Day 37: Marches, Celebrations, Calls For Justice - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 4th, 2020
- Rep. Brostoff’s Livestream From Tonight’s March - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Florists For Social Justice at Sherman Phoenix - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- This Weekends Protests Against Police Brutality - Graham Kilmer - Jul 3rd, 2020
- “Defund The Police” Becomes “Defend The Police” - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Protesters Enter the Cheesecake Factory at Mayfair - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 2nd, 2020
- City Hall: Should Police Report Every Time They Draw Weapon? - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
- Giannis Protest Mural Planned for Bay View Bar - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
- Tosa PD Getting New Body Cameras - Isiah Holmes - Jul 2nd, 2020
Read more about George Floyd Protests here