Milwaukee Again Under 9 p.m. Curfew
Police chief says things were less disorderly second night.
“What we saw Friday and Saturday was the vast majority of people peacefully show their frustration,” said Barrett at a Sunday afternoon press conference.
Morales said the department arrested approximately 60 people in the past 48 hours, with roughly 10 happening Saturday night.
“When we talk about disorder, things were better than the night before,” he said. He said the deployment of 125 Wisconsin National Guard troops to guard key sites as a backup force allowed police to manage the situation.
“We hope to move forward tonight and continue that decline,” said the chief.
A peaceful march traveled more than 12 miles Saturday, but 20 businesses were damaged or looted after 9:00 p.m. That’s an increase of four over the 16 the night before, but Morales said there was less looting, and there were more “liquor stores” and “corner stores” rather than large national chains.
Morales said Milwaukee residents, not outsiders, are to blame for much of the damage. Only three people arrested by the department are from outside the city.
Wisconsin National Guard adjunct general Paul Knapp said the guard is here to help. “We are your friends and we are here to protect that right to peacefully demonstrate,” he said.
Milwaukeeans Show Up to Clean Up Streets
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Milwaukee Marches, Day 41 - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 8th, 2020
- Wisconsin Budget: 32 Cities Devote Most Spending to Police - Tamarine Cornelius - Jul 7th, 2020
- Experts Say Legal System Impedes Police Reform - Margo Kirchner - Jul 7th, 2020
- Officer Accused of Assaulting Protester - Corri Hess - Jul 6th, 2020
- Plenty of Horne: Quadracci Sets Off Employee Rebellion - Michael Horne - Jul 6th, 2020
- Will MPS End Truancy Program? - Sam Woods - Jul 6th, 2020
- Butler Outspends Milwaukee on Per Capita Policing - Henry Redman - Jul 6th, 2020
- Protesters Call for Justice for Vanessa Guillen - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 5th, 2020
- Group Repainting Defund Mural, MPD Watches - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 5th, 2020
- Protest Day 37: Marches, Celebrations, Calls For Justice - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 4th, 2020
Read more about George Floyd Protests here