Construction Starting Soon On State Fair Park Care Facility
Army Corps of Engineers already mobilizing at State Fair Park.
The Army Corps of Engineers will soon start construction of an alternative care facility at the Wisconsin State Fair Park Exposition Center, to increase healthcare capacity for the coming surge in cases of COVID-19 that local officials expect to hit Milwaukee sometime near the end of this month.
Gov. Tony Evers announced Thursday that the corps is already mobilizing at the exposition center “to begin development of an alternative care facility.”
For weeks, local officials have been scouting possible locations for alternative care facilities, which will act as overflow for mild cases of COVID-19 during a surge that may swamp existing hospital capacity. It was announced in early April that the State Fair Park Exposition Center could become a care facility with up to 1,200 beds.
Evers thanked FEMA and the Army Corp of Engineers for responding to their request for a facility, saying it will be a “critical addition to the southeastern region of our state and will be essential to continuing to ensure our healthcare systems are not overwhelmed.”
Dr. Ben Weston, director of Medical Services for Milwaukee County, previously said the facility is “an optimal location for this space considering the ease of access, abundant parking, central location to a variety of resources.” Looking at hospital systems around the world that have already dealt with COVID-19 surges, Weston said it is clear that “even the largest and most efficient hospital systems” likely will eventually need additional capacity to respond to the disease.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- MKE County: City COVID-19 Transmission Higher Than Suburbs - Graham Kilmer - Jul 23rd, 2021
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 23rd, 2021
- Milwaukee Health Department Hosts 20th Annual Back-to-School Health Fairs - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 23rd, 2021
- Are Vaccine Mandates Legal? - Elizabeth Dohms-Harter - Jul 23rd, 2021
- Governor Evers, DHS Urge COVID-19 Vaccination Ahead of 2021-2022 School Year - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Jul 22nd, 2021
- MKE County: COVID-19 Transmission Surging Countywide - Graham Kilmer - Jul 16th, 2021
- Walk-In Vaccine Event Incentivizes Community Vaccination with High-Value Raffle Prizes, Free Meal - Near West Side Partners, Inc. - Jul 16th, 2021
- COVID-19 Rising, Delta Variant Blamed - Graham Kilmer - Jul 13th, 2021
- State’s COVID-19 Cases Climbing Again - Erik Gunn - Jul 13th, 2021
- State Officials Target COVID-19 Delta Variant - Shamane Mills - Jul 10th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here