Will State Legislature Take Action?
Fitzgerald cancels Senate session, but Republicans expect extraordinary session later this spring.
Tuesday Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R-Juneau) made the call to postpone the Wisconsin Senate’s scheduled March floor session, which would have taken place next week.
He also said he and Speaker Robin Vos (R-Rochester) would call an extraordinary session later this spring for the Senate to complete its business and that he had also discussed the matter with Gov. Tony Evers and his staff, indicating that determining what to do for K-12 schools if they remain closed for an extended period of time would be on the top of his agenda.
“This is out of an abundance of caution for senators, their family members and staff members who may be vulnerable to coronavirus,” Fitzgerald said in a statement. “The Wisconsin State Senate will continue to function during this public health emergency.
“This coronavirus is a public health issue that should be taken seriously. Wisconsinites must avoid panic and instead listen to the recommendations of health professionals at the federal, state and local levels. Doctors tell us that social distancing and hand washing are effective tools to slow the spread of this virus. I encourage individuals to practice these healthy habits to keep the most vulnerable and high-risk populations among us safe.”
A question posed to Vos from the Examiner on Monday about precautions he is urging for the Assembly had yet to receive a response by publication time.
Reprinted with permission of Wisconsin Examiner.
- WI Daily: 840 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 25th, 2021
- Evers Signs Bill on Unemployment System - Laurel White - Feb 25th, 2021
- DHS Announces Groups Eligible for COVID-19 Vaccine on March 1 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Feb 25th, 2021
- Milwaukee Health Department Adjusts Testing Hours at American Family Field - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Feb 25th, 2021
- WI Daily: 747 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Creates 4 Community Vaccine Clinics - Megan Hart - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Vaccination Rate Increasing - Graham Kilmer - Feb 24th, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Emergency Powers Laws in Urgent Need of Reform - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Feb 24th, 2021
- Souls to the Polls Urges Sen. Johnson to Vote ‘Yes’ on COVID-19 Relief Bill in the U.S. Senate - Souls to the Polls Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- WI Daily: 566 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 23rd, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here