Public Meeting, Courthouse Cancelations Begin
City, county both cancel their first meetings as COVID-19 closures and postponements grow.
The City of Milwaukee and Milwaukee County have each canceled their first public meetings. Jury trials in Milwaukee County have been canceled from March through April 3rd.
The Common Council’s Steering and Rules Committee, scheduled for Friday at 1:30 p.m., has been canceled in part because of concerns about the virus. The four-item agenda had already been cut in half prior to the cancelation.
Going forward Wisconsin counties and municipalities will have to grapple with how to comply with the state’s Open Meetings Law which includes requirements on notice and public accommodations. Simply pushing everything online is not an option that complies with the law.
Prolonged shutdowns of either legislative entity would jeopardize the ability of the city and county to fully function, even if administrative employees continued to work. The bodies routinely work on measures relating to funding, procurement, business licensing and contracts.
The Milwaukee County Circuit Court system will provide updates to any jurors scheduled to appear after April 3rd.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- City Hall: Don’t Call 911 On City Mask Mandate - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 14th, 2020
- Johnson Opposes More Economic Stimulus Funding - Rob Mentzer - Jul 14th, 2020
- WI Daily: New High, 964 New COVID-19 Cases - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 14th, 2020
- AG Kaul & Multistate Coalition Urging the U.S. Senate to Increase Childcare Funding in Next Federal Stimulus Package - Josh Kaul - Jul 14th, 2020
- Back in the News: Wisconsin Behind on COVID-19 Testing - Bruce Murphy - Jul 14th, 2020
- Milwaukee Public Schools Releases School Reopening Recommendation - Milwaukee Public Schools - Jul 13th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Early Indicators Are “Very Troubling” - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 13th, 2020
- Common Council unanimous in approving citywide masking policy - Ald. JoCasta Zamarripa - Jul 13th, 2020
- Common Council unanimously approves MKE Cares mask ordinance - Ald. Marina Dimitrijevic - Jul 13th, 2020
- Survey Finds Pandemic Hurt State Businesses - Rachael Vasquez - Jul 13th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here