Public Meeting, Courthouse Cancelations Begin
City, county both cancel their first meetings as COVID-19 closures and postponements grow.
The City of Milwaukee and Milwaukee County have each canceled their first public meetings. Jury trials in Milwaukee County have been canceled from March through April 3rd.
The Common Council’s Steering and Rules Committee, scheduled for Friday at 1:30 p.m., has been canceled in part because of concerns about the virus. The four-item agenda had already been cut in half prior to the cancelation.
Going forward Wisconsin counties and municipalities will have to grapple with how to comply with the state’s Open Meetings Law which includes requirements on notice and public accommodations. Simply pushing everything online is not an option that complies with the law.
Prolonged shutdowns of either legislative entity would jeopardize the ability of the city and county to fully function, even if administrative employees continued to work. The bodies routinely work on measures relating to funding, procurement, business licensing and contracts.
The Milwaukee County Circuit Court system will provide updates to any jurors scheduled to appear after April 3rd.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- DHS Urges COVID-19 Vaccination for a Healthy School Year - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Aug 15th, 2022
- Milwaukee Health Department Begins Administering Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Aug 9th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Aug 5th, 2022
- MKE County: COVID-19 Still Rising in Milwaukee - Graham Kilmer - Jul 29th, 2022
- Public Awareness Campaign Seeks to Boost COVID-19 Vaccinations - PrincessSafiya Byers - Jul 28th, 2022
- Nearly Half of State Has High COVID-19 Level - Erik Gunn - Jul 24th, 2022
- MKE County: COVID-19 Level Increasing In Milwaukee - Graham Kilmer - Jul 22nd, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 22nd, 2022
- MKE County: Milwaukee County Has High Level of COVID-19 - Graham Kilmer - Jul 15th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 15th, 2022
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here