Evers Doesn’t Think Foxconn Has Changed Plans
Company has announced $2.9 billion cut in expenses, faces “difficult year."
Gov.-elect Tony Evers says he does not believe Foxconn’s plans to cut costs in 2019 will affect the company’s project in Wisconsin.
Bloomberg reported Wednesday that the Taiwanese tech giant planned to cut $2.9 billion in expenses in 2019. An internal memo, acquired by Bloomberg, said the company is facing “a very difficult and competitive year.”
Last week, Foxconn posted a weaker-than-expected rise in quarterly profits.
During his campaign for governor, Evers was critical of the deal Gov. Scott Walker negotiated with Foxconn, and during an interview with Wisconsin Public Television, he said he remains concerned about the cost of the project.
But Evers also said he did not think the reported cuts by Foxconn would change its plans for Wisconsin.
“I believe that what they’re ultimate goals are pretty much the same,” Evers said. “My goal right now is to establish relationships with them so that I can be the best governor possible and they can be the best corporate citizen possible.”
Evers said he has begun conversations with people who represent Foxconn so he knows exactly what the company’s plans are moving forward.
Foxconn could receive up to nearly $3 billion from state government depending on the size of the plant it builds in southeast Wisconsin and the number of people it hires. When all state and local payments are combined, the cost of the project could hit almost $4.5 billion.
The full interview with Evers airs Friday at 7:30 p.m. on Wisconsin Public Television.
Evers: Foxconn’s Wisconsin Plans Likely The Same, Despite Expense Cuts was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- State Reviewing Foxconn Jobs Report - Erik Gunn - Jul 23rd, 2020
- Foxconn Hosts Smart Manufacturing Web Conference, Launches iAI Institute - Foxconn Technology Group - Jul 10th, 2020
- Foxconn Will Make 10K Ventilators - Corri Hess - Jun 19th, 2020
- Medtronic and Foxconn Partner to Increase Ventilator Production - Foxconn Technology Group - Jun 18th, 2020
- Foxconn Audit Delayed Two Months - Erik Gunn - Jun 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn’s Profits Plunge By 90% - Bruce Murphy - May 19th, 2020
- Foxconn to Assemble Procedural Masks in Wisconsin for Pandemic Relief - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Squeezes Evers - Bruce Murphy - Apr 15th, 2020
- Foxconn Says It Earned Tax Credits - Corri Hess - Apr 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Plant Will Make Ventilators - Bruce Murphy - Apr 8th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here