Evers Doesn’t Think Foxconn Has Changed Plans
Company has announced $2.9 billion cut in expenses, faces “difficult year."
Gov.-elect Tony Evers says he does not believe Foxconn’s plans to cut costs in 2019 will affect the company’s project in Wisconsin.
Bloomberg reported Wednesday that the Taiwanese tech giant planned to cut $2.9 billion in expenses in 2019. An internal memo, acquired by Bloomberg, said the company is facing “a very difficult and competitive year.”
Last week, Foxconn posted a weaker-than-expected rise in quarterly profits.
During his campaign for governor, Evers was critical of the deal Gov. Scott Walker negotiated with Foxconn, and during an interview with Wisconsin Public Television, he said he remains concerned about the cost of the project.
But Evers also said he did not think the reported cuts by Foxconn would change its plans for Wisconsin.
“I believe that what they’re ultimate goals are pretty much the same,” Evers said. “My goal right now is to establish relationships with them so that I can be the best governor possible and they can be the best corporate citizen possible.”
Evers said he has begun conversations with people who represent Foxconn so he knows exactly what the company’s plans are moving forward.
Foxconn could receive up to nearly $3 billion from state government depending on the size of the plant it builds in southeast Wisconsin and the number of people it hires. When all state and local payments are combined, the cost of the project could hit almost $4.5 billion.
The full interview with Evers airs Friday at 7:30 p.m. on Wisconsin Public Television.
Evers: Foxconn’s Wisconsin Plans Likely The Same, Despite Expense Cuts was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Murphy’s Law: The Foxconn Real Estate Show - Bruce Murphy - Feb 25th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Local Costs for Foxconn Cut By 2% - Bruce Murphy - Feb 8th, 2021
- Foxconn Sued for Breach of Contract - Corri Hess - Feb 4th, 2021
- Vos and Wanggaard Continue to Gaslight Public on Foxconn Development - A Better Mt. Pleasant - Feb 3rd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Robin Vos Will Solve Foxconn Fiasco - Bruce Murphy - Feb 2nd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: 9 Reasons a New Foxconn Contract Is Unlikely - Bruce Murphy - Dec 21st, 2020
- Audit Says Foxconn Loophole Needs a Fix - Corri Hess - Dec 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Residents Outraged by Foxconn Fiasco - Bruce Murphy - Dec 8th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Landing Google Contract? - Bruce Murphy - Nov 23rd, 2020
- Op Ed: Mistake? Foxconn Was a Whopper - John Torinus - Oct 30th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here