Evers Questions Foxconn Air Quality
Democrat says permits should be revisited, Walker says no need for this.
The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources may take another look at air quality permits for a Foxconn manufacturing plant if Democrat Tony Evers is elected governor.
The state superintendent of schools told the Wisconsin State Journal the permits should be revisited.
David Petering, a chemistry professor at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, said because the state did not require an environmental impact statement for the project, it is not clear how released toxins might interact with each other.
But Gov. Scott Walker says the project was fully vetted by the DNR.
“They apply the same laws and rules to Foxconn as they do to any other business,” Walker said at a campaign event Thursday in Eau Claire.
Walker said a speedy permit process is proactive and it is what businesses want.
“They want clean air, they want clean land, they want clean water, they just don’t want an agency that sits on their hands until something goes wrong,” he said.
In May, 2018, Illinois’ attorney general filed a suit against the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for rules that exempted Foxconn from national pollution standards.
Evers’ campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Concerns About Foxconn Air Permits Resurface In Gubernatorial Race was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- State Reviewing Foxconn Jobs Report - Erik Gunn - Jul 23rd, 2020
- Foxconn Hosts Smart Manufacturing Web Conference, Launches iAI Institute - Foxconn Technology Group - Jul 10th, 2020
- Foxconn Will Make 10K Ventilators - Corri Hess - Jun 19th, 2020
- Medtronic and Foxconn Partner to Increase Ventilator Production - Foxconn Technology Group - Jun 18th, 2020
- Foxconn Audit Delayed Two Months - Erik Gunn - Jun 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn’s Profits Plunge By 90% - Bruce Murphy - May 19th, 2020
- Foxconn to Assemble Procedural Masks in Wisconsin for Pandemic Relief - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Squeezes Evers - Bruce Murphy - Apr 15th, 2020
- Foxconn Says It Earned Tax Credits - Corri Hess - Apr 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Plant Will Make Ventilators - Bruce Murphy - Apr 8th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here