Foxconn Partners Are Big Walker Donors
Aurora, Northwestern Mutual, Johnson Controls help create Foxconn venture fund while donating to governor.
Three Wisconsin companies that partnered with Foxconn to create a $100 million fund to help new tech companies are also generous contributors to GOP Gov. Scott Walker’s campaign.
Employees and a political action committee (PAC) from the three Wisconsin companies contributed more than $734,000 to Walker between January 2010 and December 2017, including:
About $395,400 from employees of Aurora Health Care and its subsidiaries;
About $305,200 from Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance’s PAC and employees;
About $33,500 from Johnson Controls’ employees.
The top individual contributor to Walker from each of these companies was:
The investment fund is the latest in a string of projects announced throughout the summer by Foxconn, including tech and research centers in Green Bay and Eau Claire and a $100 million research gift to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. All of these ventures coincide with Walker’s reelection in November.
Critics say Foxconn’s additional projects around the state may be meant to help Walker because of the unpopularity over the size of the state giveaway and the uncertainty about the economic benefits of the Foxconn deal, which has become an election issue. Foxconn is building a massive flat-screen manufacturing plant in Racine County with more than $4 billion in state and local giveaways spearheaded last year by Walker.
- Murphy’s Law: The Foxconn Real Estate Show - Bruce Murphy - Feb 25th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Local Costs for Foxconn Cut By 2% - Bruce Murphy - Feb 8th, 2021
- Foxconn Sued for Breach of Contract - Corri Hess - Feb 4th, 2021
- Vos and Wanggaard Continue to Gaslight Public on Foxconn Development - A Better Mt. Pleasant - Feb 3rd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Robin Vos Will Solve Foxconn Fiasco - Bruce Murphy - Feb 2nd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: 9 Reasons a New Foxconn Contract Is Unlikely - Bruce Murphy - Dec 21st, 2020
- Audit Says Foxconn Loophole Needs a Fix - Corri Hess - Dec 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Residents Outraged by Foxconn Fiasco - Bruce Murphy - Dec 8th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Landing Google Contract? - Bruce Murphy - Nov 23rd, 2020
- Op Ed: Mistake? Foxconn Was a Whopper - John Torinus - Oct 30th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here