Foxconn Partners Are Big Walker Donors
Aurora, Northwestern Mutual, Johnson Controls help create Foxconn venture fund while donating to governor.
Three Wisconsin companies that partnered with Foxconn to create a $100 million fund to help new tech companies are also generous contributors to GOP Gov. Scott Walker’s campaign.
Employees and a political action committee (PAC) from the three Wisconsin companies contributed more than $734,000 to Walker between January 2010 and December 2017, including:
About $395,400 from employees of Aurora Health Care and its subsidiaries;
About $305,200 from Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance’s PAC and employees;
About $33,500 from Johnson Controls’ employees.
The top individual contributor to Walker from each of these companies was:
The investment fund is the latest in a string of projects announced throughout the summer by Foxconn, including tech and research centers in Green Bay and Eau Claire and a $100 million research gift to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. All of these ventures coincide with Walker’s reelection in November.
Critics say Foxconn’s additional projects around the state may be meant to help Walker because of the unpopularity over the size of the state giveaway and the uncertainty about the economic benefits of the Foxconn deal, which has become an election issue. Foxconn is building a massive flat-screen manufacturing plant in Racine County with more than $4 billion in state and local giveaways spearheaded last year by Walker.
- Foxconn Will Make 10K Ventilators - Corri Hess - Jun 19th, 2020
- Medtronic and Foxconn Partner to Increase Ventilator Production - Foxconn Technology Group - Jun 18th, 2020
- Foxconn Audit Delayed Two Months - Erik Gunn - Jun 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn’s Profits Plunge By 90% - Bruce Murphy - May 19th, 2020
- Foxconn to Assemble Procedural Masks in Wisconsin for Pandemic Relief - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Squeezes Evers - Bruce Murphy - Apr 15th, 2020
- Foxconn Says It Earned Tax Credits - Corri Hess - Apr 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Plant Will Make Ventilators - Bruce Murphy - Apr 8th, 2020
- Op Ed: Foxconn Facility Could Help in Pandemic - James Rowen - Mar 29th, 2020
- Op Ed: The Foxconn Road to Ruin - James Rowen - Mar 9th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here