Roys Makes Foxconn Issue in Governor Race
Spars with Walker on whether to protect homeowners forced to sell for Foxconn.
A Democratic candidate for Wisconsin governor says she doesn’t like the pressure being put on some homeowners to sell their property for the Foxconn project in Racine County.
Former Madison State Rep. Kelda Roys recently visited the Mahoney house in the Village of Mount Pleasant. The Mahoneys are among the local homeowners resisting the village’s attempt to buy their property for the Foxconn complex.
Roys, one of nine democrats running to replace Gov. Scott Walker, says he should have considered the impact on local residents when he negotiated the Foxconn agreement last summer.
“The governor should be much more concerned about how his policies, including the Foxconn deal, are affecting real Wisconsinites, and be less concerned about his political future,” Roys told to reporters Tuesday afternoon.
Walker said Tuesday that the land purchases are a local, not state, process. He says Roys and others just don’t like the Foxconn project.
“She, like all the other candidates, have decided that anything related to 13,000 good paying, family-supporting jobs, is something, as a knee-jerk reaction, they’ve got to be against,” Walker told reporters in Sussex.
Foxconn is promising to eventually employ up to 13,000 people at its soon to be built factory complex.
Listen to the discussion here.
Homeowners Pressured To Sell For Foxconn Draws Interest In Governor’s Race was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Murphy’s Law: About That Foxconn Venture Capital Fund - Bruce Murphy - Mar 30th, 2021
- Back in the News: Foxconn Could Invest $13 Billion - Bruce Murphy - Mar 16th, 2021
- Lawsuit Against Foxconn Dropped - Corri Hess - Mar 8th, 2021
- Hintz Doubts Foxconn Electric Car Project - Corri Hess - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The Foxconn Real Estate Show - Bruce Murphy - Feb 25th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Local Costs for Foxconn Cut By 2% - Bruce Murphy - Feb 8th, 2021
- Foxconn Sued for Breach of Contract - Corri Hess - Feb 4th, 2021
- Vos and Wanggaard Continue to Gaslight Public on Foxconn Development - A Better Mt. Pleasant - Feb 3rd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Robin Vos Will Solve Foxconn Fiasco - Bruce Murphy - Feb 2nd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: 9 Reasons a New Foxconn Contract Is Unlikely - Bruce Murphy - Dec 21st, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here