Charles Allis, JCC, Pabst Mansion, UWM and more
Kat Murrell takes a look at exhibitions at Charles Allis and Green Gallery, along with holiday events at the Jewish Community Center, Pabst Mansion and UWM.
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 12
- RedLine Milwaukee, 1422 N. 4th Street
- Noon to midnight, $5 admission / $10 unlimited reentry
- RedLine Milwaukee’s 12/12/12 event features 12 performance art pieces from every end of the medium’s broad spectrum, stretched to fill a half day. See TCD’s preview.
- Kenilworth Square East, 1925 E. Kenilworth Place
- 6-9 p.m. Free.
- Students from the UWM Peck School of the Arts will transform three floors of the Kenilworth Square East building into a dynamic and interactive gallery space. The event features works in a wide variety of mediums, from digital prints to time-based media, sculptures, and installations. These works investigate the role that evolving technologies play in our culture, psychology, and creative practices, as well as examine the continued influx of technologically mediated reality into our lives.
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 14
Wisconsin’s Own: Aaron Boyd
- Charles Allis Art Museum, 1801 N. Prospect Avenue
- Opening Reception 5:30-8:30pm
- Artist and children’s book illustrator Aaron Boyd is showcased with his imaginative drawings and a pop-book which has been included in the Smithsonian Rare Books Collection.
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 16
Guesthouse: Peter Barrickman
- Green Gallery, 1500 N. Farwell Avenue
- This is the last day to catch this exhibition of new work by Peter Barrickman, which includes paintings, drawing, and collage.
ART FOR THE HOLIDAYS
Noah’s Ark by Benno Rothschild
- Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center
- 6255 North Santa Monica Boulevard, Milwaukee
- Milwaukee Jewish Artists Lab artist-in-residence Benno Rothschild has created a metal Noah’s Ark sculpture, which has been decorated by the artist, children, and families of the JCC. The sculpture is on view for the Hanukkah festival.
Grand Avenue Christmas
- Pabst Mansion, 2000 West Wisconsin Avenue
- Through January 13, 2013
- The 19th century mansion, once home to a Milwaukee beer baron, is ornately decked out for the season.
- UWM Art History Gallery, Mitchell Hall, Room 154
- 3203 North Downer Avenue
- Through January 11, 2013.
- Images of the Nativity are exhibited in prints from the 16th through the 18th centuries by artists such as Rembrandt, Albrecht Dürer, Annibale Carracci, and others.
IDEAS FOR ART SHOPPING
See each venues’ website for additional information and hours.
- “Mini: Tiny Art & Tiny Prices”
- 722 E. Burleigh Street
- Exhibition through Jan. 3, 2013
- 5407 W. Vliet Street
- Through December 24, 2012
- 2456 N. Murray Ave.
- Open through December
- Available at the Milwaukee Art Museum
- 700 N. Art Museum Drive
- 2501 S. Howell Avenue
- Open December 1-31, 2012
One and Only: Gifts Made by Hand
- John Michael Kohler Arts Center
- JMKAC location: 608 New York Avenue, Sheboygan
- Shops at Woodlake ARTspace location: 725 Woodlake Road, Kohler, Wis.