Marriott Approved. Greenwich Park Apartments Approved
Two controversial development projects received key approvals at the January 19th, 2011 meeting of the Common Council.
First, the development team for the $50 million Marriott Hotel project, which will be located near the corner of E. Wisconsin Ave. and N. Milwaukee St., won an appeal of the Historic Preservation Commission’s ruling that would have required a 15 foot setback for the upper floors of the building. While the facades of some buildings along Wisconsin Ave. will be preserved or restored, this essentially approves the demolition of five buildings located in the East Side Commercial Historic District. The 200-room hotel being developed by Jackson Street Management LLC is expected to create 200 permanent jobs. It is being financed through the foreign investment via the federal EB-5 program, and if granted will utilized New Market Tax Credits.
One significant change to the proposal was pushed by Alderman Willie Wade. He worked out an agreement with Jackson Street Management LLC. to a meet a level of EBE and RPP requirements on the project, following the pattern of the M.O.R.E. ordinance.
The appeal was approved on a vote of 13-2, with Alderman Bob Bauman and Kovac voting against the appeal.
Also included in approvals at the January 19th 2011 Common Council meeting was an approval for the land sale and zoning for Greenwich Park Apartments. The $8.5 million apartment building, located near N. Farwell Ave. and Thomas St., will be 5-stories tall with 54-units, ranging from studios to 3-bedroom units, and include approximately 100 parking spots, of which 48 will be available for the general public. This approval will allow Mercy Housing Lakefront, the project developer, to apply for WHEDA tax credits to assist in funding the project.
With these approvals in place, and likely support from Mayor Tom Barrett, both projects appear to be poised to break ground this year.
- Finally, Greenwich Park Apartments Opens - Graham Kilmer - May 4th, 2017
- Greenwich Park Targets Low-Income Residents - Graham Kilmer - Nov 21st, 2016
- Friday Photos: Greenwich Park Nearly Complete - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 16th, 2016
- Friday Photos: New Apartments for the East Side - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 29th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Greenwich Park Apartments Taking Shape - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 12th, 2016
- Friday Photos: Finally Comes Greenwich Park Apartments - Jack Fennimore - Nov 27th, 2015
- Plats and Parcels: 342 More Apartments Approved - Dave Reid - Jun 9th, 2015
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Commission Approves 6-Story East Side Apartments - Dave Reid - Oct 29th, 2013
- Eyes on Milwaukee: They Like It, They Really Like It - Dave Reid - Oct 16th, 2013
- Eyes on Milwaukee: New Design for Greenwich Park Apartments - Dave Reid - Oct 9th, 2013
Read more about Greenwich Park Apartments Development here