Saengerfest and City Hall, 1868
The earlier City Hall was a converted market hall, here decorated for an annual German music festival.
In June 2013 the National Saengerfest was held in Milwaukee. This is an annual gathering of Austrian and German musical societies. The history of Saengerfest, however, goes back many years in the United States. As Milwaukee in the 19th century had a substantial population of German origin it should be of little surprise that Milwaukee’s first Saengerfest was held here in 1868. The building in this photograph is City Hall and the streets are amply decorated to welcome the singers. The garlands would decorate the streets all the way to Union Depot, the city’s main railroad station at that time, which was located on south 2nd St. near Seeboth St.
Note the tracks in the street. This was for the trolley which was horse-drawn. Electric trollies would not appear until 1890.
City Hall was originally a market hall that in 1860 was remodeled and converted into City Hall by architect Edward Townsend Mix, and served the city’s seat of government until 1871. (After this the city government was housed in various locations.) This building appears in many early stereoviews beginning in the 1860s. The current City Hall, built in 1895, is on this same site.
Jeff Beutner is a collector of photographs, postcards and stereoviews of old Milwaukee. This column features these images, with historical commentary by Beutner.
Feb 24th, 2015 by Jeff Beutner
The third Chapman's store was built in 1885 and would remain in business nearly a century.
Feb 17th, 2015 by Jeff Beutner
Chapman's, the city's first department store for upscale buyers, was the last word in elegance for Milwaukee.
Feb 3rd, 2015 by Jeff Beutner
Located on E. Wisconsin and Milwaukee St., it was the city's premier department store, easily withstanding the Panic of 1873.
Jan 28th, 2015 by Jeff Beutner
Long before Gimbel's and Boston Store, T.A. Chapman was the city's department store. This is its first location.
Jan 14th, 2015 by Jeff Beutner
Located on E. Wisconsin near what is now the Iron Block building, the store offered an item that was greatly desired.
Jan 6th, 2015 by Jeff Beutner
The company manufactured sewing machines, and this was the interior of its Downtown store.