Youth Justice Milwaukee: “We need action, not excuses.”
"Delaying the closure of Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake is unacceptable."
Milwaukee, WI – In response to Governor Tony Evers’ plan to delay the closure of Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake until 2023, Youth Justice Milwaukee co-founders Sharlen Moore and Jeff Roman released the following statement:
“Delaying the closure of Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake is unacceptable. Just this month, we were reminded that this prison is still dangerous and still harming kids – which is exactly why we need to close it immediately. Every day Lincoln Hills remains open is another day a young person’s life is threatened. We know Governor Evers believes closing Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake is the right thing to do – but right now, we need action, not excuses. Instead of continuing the failed model of youth prisons, Wisconsin should be working with communities and county officials to create an effective and restorative justice system by using community-based interventions rather than locking young people up.
Youth Justice Milwaukee requests a meeting with Governor Evers and Secretary Carr before they advance any proposals delaying the closure of Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake.”
Youth Justice Milwaukee is a broad-based campaign advocating for community-based, family-centered, restorative programs as an alternative to locking up children in Wisconsin’s youth prisons. Youth Justice Milwaukee represents a coalition of persons who were incarcerated as youth, families of youth who are or were incarcerated, service providers, and local and national youth justice advocates.
- Evers Proposes $45.8 Million for Milwaukee Juvenile Facility - Gretchen Schuldt - Mar 1st, 2021
- MKE County: County Has Just 22 Inmates in Youth Prisons - Edgar Mendez - Feb 24th, 2021
- Evers Pushes Juvenile Justice System Changes - Corri Hess - Feb 18th, 2021
- Youth Justice Milwaukee Calls for Transformation of the Wisconsin Youth Justice System as the State Acknowledges it Will Not Meet the July 2021 Deadline to Close Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake Prisons - Youth Justice Milwaukee - Feb 8th, 2021
- Pandemic Causes Youth Prison Problems - Graham Kilmer - Jan 27th, 2021
- Can State Rescue Youth Corrections Plan? - Graham Kilmer - Jan 11th, 2021
- State Can’t Meet Deadline to Close Youth Prisons - Graham Kilmer - Dec 30th, 2020
- MKE County: Crowley Defers Youth Corrections Grant Until State Has Sustainable Plan - Graham Kilmer - Sep 16th, 2020
- State Blows Up County Youth Corrections Plan - Graham Kilmer - May 20th, 2020
- Youth Advocates Remain Committed to Closing Wisconsin Youth Prisons Following Monitor’s Report - American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin - Mar 5th, 2020
Read more about Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake here
Recent Press Releases by Youth Justice Milwaukee
Signals Strong Bipartisan Support for Community-Based Alternatives to Incarceration to Rehabilitate Youth
"YJM agrees with President Hamilton that there are already enough correctional settings on the north side of Milwaukee."