Youth Justice Milwaukee Statement on Lincoln Hills Incident with Young Person with Appendicitis
"Again and again, we hear stories that prove that for young people, simply being at Lincoln Hills is a risk to their lives."
In response to the news that nurses at the Lincoln Hills youth prison failed to take a young man to the hospital in 2016 when he was at risk of dying from a burst appendix, Youth Justice Milwaukee co-founders, Jeff Roman and Sharlen Moore released the following statement:
“Again and again, we hear stories that prove that for young people, simply being at Lincoln Hills is a risk to their lives. This latest horror story demonstrates how youth prisons fail young people– failing even the bare minimum standards — and why their families and communities are better equipped to take care of them. This case proves that any institutional setting simply cannot adequately keep young people safe – and in this case, it almost couldn’t keep one young man alive. Wisconsin must listen to impacted communities and families of incarcerated young people on how to build a truly just system. The final closure of Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake must proceed without delay as we look toward funding alternatives that will keep youth and the community much safer.”
Youth Justice Milwaukee is a broad-based campaign advocating for community-based, family-centered, restorative programs as an alternative to locking up children in Wisconsin’s youth prisons. Youth Justice Milwaukee represents a coalition of persons who were incarcerated as youth, families of youth who are or were incarcerated, service providers, and local and national youth justice advocates.
- MKE County: County Wants Zero Youth in State Juvenile Prisons - Graham Kilmer - May 26th, 2021
- Report Finds Improvements in Youth Prisons - Isiah Holmes - Apr 21st, 2021
- New Therapy Used at Lincoln Hills - Rob Mentzer - Apr 20th, 2021
- Evers Proposes $45.8 Million for Milwaukee Juvenile Facility - Gretchen Schuldt - Mar 1st, 2021
- MKE County: County Has Just 22 Inmates in Youth Prisons - Edgar Mendez - Feb 24th, 2021
- Evers Pushes Juvenile Justice System Changes - Corri Hess - Feb 18th, 2021
- Youth Justice Milwaukee Calls for Transformation of the Wisconsin Youth Justice System as the State Acknowledges it Will Not Meet the July 2021 Deadline to Close Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake Prisons - Youth Justice Milwaukee - Feb 8th, 2021
- Pandemic Causes Youth Prison Problems - Graham Kilmer - Jan 27th, 2021
- Can State Rescue Youth Corrections Plan? - Graham Kilmer - Jan 11th, 2021
- State Can’t Meet Deadline to Close Youth Prisons - Graham Kilmer - Dec 30th, 2020
Read more about Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake here
Recent Press Releases by Youth Justice Milwaukee
Signals Strong Bipartisan Support for Community-Based Alternatives to Incarceration to Rehabilitate Youth
"YJM agrees with President Hamilton that there are already enough correctional settings on the north side of Milwaukee."