Wisconsin Farmers Union President Responds to Trump’s Visit, Reports That He’ll Announce Farm Aid
“Donald Trump continues to think he can buy farmers off, but after devastating our industry — including the loss of over 2255 dairy farms since Trump took office and a record 818 shutting down forever last year — we know this is nothing more than an 11th hour campaign stunt; this is too little too late. Trump failed us when he engaged in meaningless trade wars; he abandoned us when he used “bailouts” to give handouts to big Ag who further gobbled up small and medium-sized family farms, he’s shown he’s in the pocket of Big Oil as he continues to undermine the Renewable Fuel Standard, and now he’s doubling down on what we’ve always known: we’re nothing more than a pawn to Trump.
“Wisconsin farmers are vital to our state and national economy, and are also husbands and fathers, daughters and mothers. But Trump has treated us and thrown us away like we’re nothing, and we deserve more from our president. Farmers don’t want handouts, we want sound, reliable markets that can provide for our families and won’t be devastated the way Trump eviscerated the markets that had been supporting Wisconsin families for decades.”
- Wisconsin farmers are facing a once-in-a-generation crisis: 2019 was one of the worst years in recent memory, with 818 dairy farms closing their doors as the state led the nation in farm bankruptcies.
- Donald Trump’s Secretary of Agriculture, Sonny Perdue, blew off these closures when in Wisconsin last year, saying: “In America, the big get bigger and the small go out. I don’t think in America we, for any small business, we have a guaranteed income or guaranteed profitability.”
- The Trump Administration has not provided any assistance to biofuels producers during COVID-19 and is now considering a $300 million bailout of Big Oil through the Department of Agriculture. Once again, Donald Trump is siding with oil companies over farmers.
- Where and When To Vote Early in Milwaukee - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 20th, 2020
- City of Milwaukee Expands Early Voting to 14 Locations for the 2020 General Election - Mayor Tom Barrett - Oct 20th, 2020
- In-person early voting starts today - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - Oct 20th, 2020
- Will BLM Movement Sway State Voters? - Bridgit Bowden - Oct 20th, 2020
- Democratic Party of Wisconsin Statement on Ivanka Trump’s Visit to Wisconsin - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Oct 20th, 2020
- Voter Intimidation Is Illegal, Kaul Warns - Melanie Conklin - Oct 20th, 2020
- Early voting starts today in Milwaukee - Ald. Khalif Rainey - Oct 20th, 2020
- Could Polls Be As Wrong As In 2016? - Laurel White - Oct 19th, 2020
- Voters and Election Officials Push Forward - Henry Redman - Oct 19th, 2020
- Is Janesville Trump Country? - Ruth Conniff - Oct 19th, 2020
Read more about 2020 General Election here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Democratic Party of Wisconsin
Sunday, October 25 at 6PM CT