Wisconsin Farmers Union President Responds to Trump’s Visit, Reports That He’ll Announce Farm Aid
“Donald Trump continues to think he can buy farmers off, but after devastating our industry — including the loss of over 2255 dairy farms since Trump took office and a record 818 shutting down forever last year — we know this is nothing more than an 11th hour campaign stunt; this is too little too late. Trump failed us when he engaged in meaningless trade wars; he abandoned us when he used “bailouts” to give handouts to big Ag who further gobbled up small and medium-sized family farms, he’s shown he’s in the pocket of Big Oil as he continues to undermine the Renewable Fuel Standard, and now he’s doubling down on what we’ve always known: we’re nothing more than a pawn to Trump.
“Wisconsin farmers are vital to our state and national economy, and are also husbands and fathers, daughters and mothers. But Trump has treated us and thrown us away like we’re nothing, and we deserve more from our president. Farmers don’t want handouts, we want sound, reliable markets that can provide for our families and won’t be devastated the way Trump eviscerated the markets that had been supporting Wisconsin families for decades.”
- Wisconsin farmers are facing a once-in-a-generation crisis: 2019 was one of the worst years in recent memory, with 818 dairy farms closing their doors as the state led the nation in farm bankruptcies.
- Donald Trump’s Secretary of Agriculture, Sonny Perdue, blew off these closures when in Wisconsin last year, saying: “In America, the big get bigger and the small go out. I don’t think in America we, for any small business, we have a guaranteed income or guaranteed profitability.”
- The Trump Administration has not provided any assistance to biofuels producers during COVID-19 and is now considering a $300 million bailout of Big Oil through the Department of Agriculture. Once again, Donald Trump is siding with oil companies over farmers.
- Data Wonk: The Private Election Grants Didn’t Help Biden - Bruce Thompson - Jun 16th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: How Vos Pushes The Big Lie - Bruce Murphy - Jun 1st, 2021
- Hesselbein Votes No to Republican Private Investigators - State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein - May 28th, 2021
- Robin Vos Wasting Taxpayer Resources To Investigate Non-Existent Voter Fraud - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - May 26th, 2021
- Elections Commission to Discuss Suspected Voter Fraud Reports for 2020 and 2021 Elections - Wisconsin Elections Commission - May 24th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The Vanishing Courage of Mike Gallagher - Bruce Murphy - May 11th, 2021
- Op Ed: Liz Cheney’s Profile In Courage - Dave Cieslewicz - May 9th, 2021
- Spindell Gets Second Term on Elections Commission - Henry Redman - Apr 30th, 2021
- A Tale of Two Elections - Melanie Conklin - Apr 26th, 2021
- Elections Commission Head Saw No Problems in Green Bay - Megan Hart - Mar 31st, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here