When Will Lincoln Hills Close?
If Gov. Walker has been making plans as he claims -- rather than another political cover up -- this should be an easy question to answer
MADISON — Gov. Scott Walker continues his political cover-up of the mounting crisis at the Lincoln Hills School for Boys and Copper Lake School for Girls — but this time he is misleading those most impacted: workers and youth at the facility and their families. Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Martha Laning stressed that it is time to call Walker’s bluff: Give the public a closing date for Lincoln Hills. Walker must also make public whatever timeline he developed during his alleged year of planning.
“Gov. Walker needs to be honest with the people of Wisconsin about this urgent crisis he’s ignored,” said Laning. “If he truly has been developing plans for more than year, it should be easy to give the public a date Lincoln Hills will close down.
“However his own statements reveal he plans to dump these problems on the next governor in 2019 and is just trying to bury further mounting evidence he’s been an absentee governor.”
It has been 5 years, 10 months and 25 days between when Walker was first warned about the serious cases of abuse and neglect going on at Lincoln Hills and when his administration announced the school’s closure.
During those 2,155 days, there have been numerous incidents of horrifying abuse at Lincoln Hills, including but not limited to sexual assault, dismemberment and physical abuse of both youth and employees. In 2015, a criminal investigation into Lincoln Hills was launched by Attorney General Brad Schimel, an investigation he botched so severely that the FBI had to step in and take over. Unfortunately, Walker and his administration largely stayed silent during this period.
Because of his inaction, it will likely be two or more years until Lincoln Hills is fully closed, and those personally impacted by this crisis have a right to know when that will be.
Concluded Laning: “If Walker is unable to provide a date, it will answer the question of whether this plan has actually been in the works for a year. Six years of crisis on his watch is plenty of time to come up with a detailed plan to close Lincoln Hills given the urgency of the problem and the real harm being done to Wisconsinites that Walker is supposed to represent and protect.”
More about the Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake
- Rep. Bowen statement on passage of Wisconsin Model of youth justice - State Rep. David Bowen - Feb 21st, 2018
- Kleefisch-Bowen bill lays foundation for youth corrections overhaul - State Rep. David Bowen - Feb 13th, 2018
- Taylor and Bipartisan Legislators Introduce Juvenile Corrections Bill - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Feb 13th, 2018
- Walker Renews Call to Gut Services - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Jan 18th, 2018
- Supervisor Sequanna Taylor Offers to Help Governor Walker with Plan to Close Lincoln Hill and Copper Lake - Sup. Sequanna Taylor - Jan 18th, 2018
- Statement on Delayed Action at Lincoln Hills - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Jan 16th, 2018
- Governor Walker Calls on Legislature to Pass Bipartisan Reform for Wisconsin’s Juvenile Corrections System in 2018 - Gov. Scott Walker - Jan 16th, 2018
- Response to Walker’s revisions last night on Lincoln Hills - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jan 16th, 2018
- Another Walker Non-Answer on Lincoln Hills Raises a Significant Question - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jan 12th, 2018
- When Will Lincoln Hills Close? - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jan 9th, 2018
- Shuttering of Lincoln Hills a first step in bringing true rehabilitation for youth offenders - Common Council President Ashanti Hamilton - Jan 5th, 2018
- Career Politician Gov. Scott Walker Governs For Re-Election With Campaign Gimmick - Andy Gronik - Jan 4th, 2018
- Changes Needed at Lincoln Hills Now, Not After the Next Election - State Sen. Chris Larson - Jan 4th, 2018
- Walker agrees to do his job after years of willful neglect and political cover up at Lincoln Hills — now when it threatens his own re-election - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jan 4th, 2018
- Walker a Day Late and Dollar Short on Juvenile Corrections - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Jan 4th, 2018
- Governor Walker Announces Plan to Provide a Long-Term Solution for Wisconsin’s Juvenile Corrections and Treatment Systems - Gov. Scott Walker - Jan 4th, 2018
- Dana Wachs calls on Walker administration to close Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake - State Rep. Dana Wachs - Nov 16th, 2017
- Op Ed: Lincoln Hills Even Worse Than Reported - Jake Edwards - Nov 16th, 2017
- Close Lincoln Hills: Advocates and Officials Reiterate Call for Closing Abusive Youth Prisons - Youth Justice Milwaukee - Nov 16th, 2017
- 2018 Budget Includes $90,000 for Youth Training Program - Sup. Sequanna Taylor - Nov 6th, 2017
- Rep. Bowen statement on DOC Internal Affairs Unit - State Rep. David Bowen - Oct 10th, 2017
- Sen. LaTonya Johnson’s Juvenile Justice Reform Signed Into Law - State Sen. LaTonya Johnson - Aug 2nd, 2017
- Court Watch: Judge Rules on Lincoln Hills - Gretchen Schuldt - Jul 13th, 2017
- Federal Court finds current conditions of confinement for youth at Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake Schools unconstitutional - American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin - Jun 23rd, 2017
- Court Watch: Pictures of Youths in Prison - Gretchen Schuldt - Jun 20th, 2017
- Abele Blasts State on Juvenile Prisons - Gretchen Schuldt - Apr 27th, 2017
- Court Watch: ACLU Seeks Lincoln Hills Injunction - Gretchen Schuldt - Apr 20th, 2017
- More Horrors at Juvenile Prisons? - Gretchen Schuldt - Apr 19th, 2017
- Court Watch: Chemical Spraying Used At Lincoln Hills - Gretchen Schuldt - Jan 27th, 2017
- Court Watch: Shocking Charges in Lincoln Hills Suit - Gretchen Schuldt - Jan 25th, 2017
- Corrections Officials Face Community on Lincoln Hills - Jabril Faraj - Jun 22nd, 2016
- Precious Lives: A Debate Over Lincoln Hills Problems - Dee J. Hall - May 24th, 2016
- Op-Ed: End Solitary Confinement, Especially of Youth - Laurence J. Dupuis - Feb 18th, 2016
- Murphy’s Law: Why Walker Allowed Lincoln Hills Abuses - Bruce Murphy - Feb 16th, 2016
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Democratic Party of Wisconsin
"With their million-dollar down-payment, the Republican Party and corporate special interests see Michael Screnock as a good investment who will do their bidding," Martha Laning said.
Republicans Have Sole Ownership of Wisconsin’s Rising Health Insurance Premiums, a Result of Years of Sabotage and Undercutting the Affordable Care Act
“For Schimel to drop the ball on his most basic responsibility is embarrassing and an insult to those who’ve bravely come forward seeking justice”