We Can Do Better
Joint statement from Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic, Alderman José G. Pérez, and Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa July 20, 2020
We are supportive of the strong directives for change issued tonight by the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners. We expect Chief Morales‘ response to be positive, prompt, and transparent.
We need a leader who will unite, not divide, our city. We need someone who will work with us closely to reallocate funds in order to improve the health and safety of all in our city. We need a person invested in building peace and making Milwaukee welcoming for all. We need a Chief who will listen to our community and consider the requests of peaceful protestors.
We stand with Voces de la Frontera, Black Lives Matter and all of the concerned constituents of our city who are demanding their voices be heard.
This is the way our city can thrive post pandemic, challenge systemic racism, change the culture within our police department, and protect our city.
This is the Milwaukee our community expects. This is the Milwaukee our community deserves. This is the Milwaukee we will continue to fight to achieve.
- Lawmakers Request Civil Rights Probe of Tosa PD - Isiah Holmes - Jul 23rd, 2021
- How Does Police Reform Compare To Other Cities? - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 14th, 2021
- Bowen Introduces Package of Policing Bills - Isiah Holmes - Jun 4th, 2021
- Activists Reflect on a Year of Protest - Isiah Holmes - Jun 3rd, 2021
- One Year After George Floyd’s Death - Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service - May 30th, 2021
- Op Ed: After a Year of Protests What’s Changed? - Angela Lang - May 27th, 2021
- Film: Bullhorn Films Documents Protests - Michael Holloway - May 20th, 2021
- Op Ed: Chauvin Verdict Offers Glimmer of Hope - Angela Lang and Milwaukee BLOC Team - Apr 25th, 2021
- Protesters Rally After Chauvin Verdict - Graham Kilmer - Apr 21st, 2021
- Supervisor Taylor Statement on Derek Chauvin Guilty Verdict - Sup. Sequanna Taylor - Apr 21st, 2021
Read more about 2020 Racial Justice Protests here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Common Council
Joint statement from members of the Common Council – Alderwoman Chantia Lewis, Alderwoman Nikiya Dodd, Alderman Russell W. Stamper, II, Alderman Khalif J. Rainey, Alderwoman Milele A. Coggs, Alderman Scott Spiker, Alderman Michael J. Murphy, Alderman Nik Kovac, Alderman Mark Borkowski and Alderman José G. Pérez