UWM cancels commencement, closes most student housing
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Friday canceled its May commencement in line with Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers’ executive order barring mass gatherings.
The ceremony had been scheduled for May 17 at Panther Arena. The university also canceled its May 11 Honors Commencement. Spring commencement usually includes more than 3,300 graduates and their families.
The university also informed students that most would have to move out of residence halls. Students who do not have another home or can’t return to their permanent home may apply for an exception to remain in University Housing. This may include international students who can’t return home, students who would otherwise be homeless, and students who must remain close to campus for academic or work reasons.
All Cambridge Commons and RiverView residents must move out by Friday, March 27. Other residence halls will follow. Students are being asked to schedule move out times to allow for social distancing.
UWM will refund prorated charges for housing and dining for the remainder of the spring semester for students moving out of on-campus housing.
- Why Are Bars Still Open? - Graham Kilmer - Jul 14th, 2020
- City Hall: Don’t Call 911 On City Mask Mandate - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 14th, 2020
- Johnson Opposes More Economic Stimulus Funding - Rob Mentzer - Jul 14th, 2020
- MATC to Stream Virtual Commencement Beginning July 24; Ceremony to Air on Milwaukee PBS Aug. 1-2 - Milwaukee Area Technical College - Jul 14th, 2020
- WI Daily: New High, 964 New COVID-19 Cases - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 14th, 2020
- AG Kaul & Multistate Coalition Urging the U.S. Senate to Increase Childcare Funding in Next Federal Stimulus Package - Josh Kaul - Jul 14th, 2020
- Back in the News: Wisconsin Behind on COVID-19 Testing - Bruce Murphy - Jul 14th, 2020
- Milwaukee Public Schools Releases School Reopening Recommendation - Milwaukee Public Schools - Jul 13th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Early Indicators Are “Very Troubling” - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 13th, 2020
- Common Council unanimous in approving citywide masking policy - Ald. JoCasta Zamarripa - Jul 13th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
We have been asked to share this statement by Betsy Schoeller, an instructor in our School of Information Studies, who has been the subject of numerous news stories regarding a posting she made to Facebook.