UW System COVID-19 surge testing sites extend operations to mid-January
Free rapid-response COVID-19 testing is being made available to community members as well as students and employees at sites across Wisconsin located on or near UW System university campuses. The sites have now administered over 166,000 Abbott BinaxNOW tests since opening in early November.
“The UW System is happy to put the Wisconsin Idea into action and provide this resource to the people of Wisconsin,” Regent President Andrew S. Petersen said. “It is a credit to the leadership from System and on our campuses that these testing sites have operated successfully and will now continue to help more Wisconsinites.”
The UW System surge testing sites are the first in the country to use the new Abbott BinaxNOW tests. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has provided 250,000 of the tests, and staffing support is available through eTrueNorth.
Persons who want to receive a rapid-results test – available in about 15 minutes – should register at www.doineedacovid19test.com or call 1-800-653-8611. Those who test positive through the rapid-results test are urged to get a confirmatory PCR test.
Individuals do not have to be experiencing symptoms or be a close contact of someone with COVID-19 to get a test, nor do they need to live in the community where the testing site is located.
Individuals seeking to be tested will register online, proceed to the testing site, administer the test themselves under supervision, and label it for processing.
“Frequent testing is critical to minimizing the spread of COVID-19,” said President Thompson. “With this extension, the UW System will continue to ensure that anyone who wants a test, can get a test.”
- DHS Provides Update on Omicron Variant - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Dec 3rd, 2021
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Dec 3rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff in Honor of Firefighter Brandon R. Romo - Gov. Tony Evers - Dec 3rd, 2021
- Americans for Prosperity Calls on Gov. Evers to Protect WI Workers Against Misguided Vaccine & Testing Mandates - AFP Wisconsin - Dec 2nd, 2021
- Protecting against a new variant - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - Dec 2nd, 2021
- Get Vaccinated, Get Your Photo With Championship Trophy - Annie Mattea - Dec 1st, 2021
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services Secretary-designee Karen Timberlake’s Statement on CDC’s Recommendation of Booster Doses for All Adults - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Nov 30th, 2021
- Advisory from the City of Milwaukee Commissioner of Health - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Nov 30th, 2021
- State Health Officials Await Data On Omicron - Rich Kremer - Nov 30th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff to Honor Master Trooper Daniel Stainbrook - Gov. Tony Evers - Nov 29th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by University of Wisconsin System
70 students have been selected for $7,000 scholarships
UW System also announced today that UW-Parkside hit the 70% mark