UW-Milwaukee Chancellor issues statement on proposed ICE rule related to international students
MILWAUKEE _ University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee chancellor Mark A. Mone sent the following message to faculty, staff and students today. It is being shared with media as many journalists have asked about UWM’s position on the issue.
Dear Faculty, Staff and Students,
I am writing to express my support for our international students and share my dismay regarding Monday’s announcement from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Department of Homeland Security Student and Exchange Visitor Program. As many of you already know, ICE issued a temporary rule that international students must leave the United States or face immigration consequences if their university shifts to fully online classes in Fall 2020. We have about 1,200 international students; many are graduate students enrolled in high-demand STEM fields where they make significant contributions to research that improves lives in Wisconsin and beyond. Our international students also contribute to the diversity and vibrancy of our campus culture, helping make UWM a truly world-class university. We will continue to support and advocate for these valuable members of our community.
In planning for the fall semester, we have kept health and safety at the forefront of our minds. While we are planning for in-person instruction, we are prepared to move to online instruction if public health guidance warrants it. This DHS rule makes our decisions harder by putting health and safety in competition with our students’ educational progress, and it places the university in an untenable position. It is my fervent hope that we and the other universities lobbying on this issue will be able to effect a change.
Mark A. Mone
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- AG Kaul Reacts to Trump Administration Changing New Visa Rule for International Students Following Lawsuit Filing - Josh Kaul - Jul 14th, 2020
- Kaul Joins Lawsuit Against ICE Rule - Henry Redman - Jul 14th, 2020
- Statements on Attorneys General lawsuit regarding ICE rules - University of Wisconsin System - Jul 13th, 2020
- AG Kaul, AG Coalition File Multistate Lawsuit Seeking Nationwide Injunction Against New Visa Rule for International Students - Josh Kaul - Jul 13th, 2020
- Wisconsin Universities Slam ICE Rule - Henry Redman - Jul 10th, 2020
- UW-Milwaukee Chancellor issues statement on proposed ICE rule related to international students - University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - Jul 9th, 2020
Read more about ICE International Student Rule here