Thousands of Wisconsinites Sign Petition in Support of Cannabis Legalization
MADISON – Today, Senator Melissa Agard (D-Madison) presented a petition of over 2,500 Wisconsinites signing their support for legal recreational and medicinal cannabis and taxing it like alcohol to the Joint Finance Committee Co-Chairs, Senator Howard Marklein (R-Spring Green) and Representative Mark Born (R-Beaver Dam). This petition is in favor of Governor Evers’ state biennial budget provision.
In the most recent Marquette Law School poll, 59 percent indicated their support for legal recreational cannabis. As neighboring states of Michigan, Illinois, and Minnesota have generated tax revenue from legal cannabis, Senator Agard’s letter to the Joint Finance Committee Co-Chairs in accompaniment to the petition include the following statement:
“Wisconsin’s economy is losing out due to our continued prohibition of cannabis. Needed revenue is leaving our state and going to our neighbors who have rightly legalized cannabis. In the first six months since legalizing cannabis on January 1, 2020, the state of Illinois has garnered over $56 million from taxing legal cannabis. The bottom line is Wisconsin would benefit from the projected $165 million annually that legalization would bring to our state, in addition to the billions of dollars in economic stimulus this industry would create. This is a key provision in the governor’s budget that would increase revenue for our state as we come out of a global pandemic.
“Prohibition does not work, and Wisconsinites know that. From the majority who indicated their support in the Marquette Law School poll to the 2,500+ Wisconsinites who voiced their support on our online form, the will of the people has made it clear that Wisconsin supports legalizing cannabis and taxing it like alcohol.”
This letter and petition urges the Joint Finance Committee to keep Governor Evers’ state biennial budget provision.
- Evers, Advocates Discuss Justice System Reform, Legalizing Pot - Graham Kilmer - Apr 17th, 2021
- GOP State Senate Leader Dismisses Marijuana Legalization - Laurel White - Apr 16th, 2021
- Thousands of Wisconsinites Sign Petition in Support of Cannabis Legalization - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Mar 29th, 2021
- MKE County: Board Changes Pot Possession Fine to $1 - Graham Kilmer - Mar 26th, 2021
- County Board Adopts Resolution Reducing Marijuana Possession Penalty - Sup. Sylvia Ortiz-Velez - Mar 25th, 2021
- City Hall: Proposal Ends Fines for Pot Possession - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Racial Bias Found in Pot Prosecutions - Corri Hess - Mar 22nd, 2021
- MKE County: Committee Okays $1 Fine For Pot Possession - Graham Kilmer - Mar 16th, 2021
- Judiciary Committee Approves Proposal to Reduce Marijuana Possession Penalty - Sup. Sylvia Ortiz-Velez - Mar 11th, 2021
- Senator Agard Sends Letter to JFC Co-Chairs in Support of Keeping Legalization of Marijuana in State Budget - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Feb 10th, 2021
Read more about Legalizing of Marijuana here