Supervisor Ortiz-Velez Urges County to Apply for State Funds to Repair Mitchell Park Domes
MILWAUKEE – Supervisor Sylvia Ortiz-Velez is calling on Milwaukee County to apply for funding from Governor Tony Evers’s Neighborhood Investment Fund grant program to address critical capital projects at the Mitchell Park Domes. The governor announced the Neighborhood Investment Fund on August 24, specifically noting that local governments can apply for funding for “new and improved facilities.”
“The Neighborhood Investment Fund grant program could have a dramatic impact on the backlog of local projects and help launch innovative new programs for underserved communities,” said Supervisor Ortiz-Velez. “For Milwaukee County, it is imperative that we consider all available funding options for restoring and improving the Mitchell Park Domes, including this grant program.”
The County Board formally established that it is Milwaukee County’s policy to repair and preserve the Domes in 2016. Based on this policy position the County Board created the Domes Task Force, which recommended a restoration plan in 2019. The County Board has not formally adopted the task force’s restoration plan.
Securing funding for the Mitchell Park Domes could help the County make progress on its goal of achieving racial equity and becoming the healthiest county in the state. The Domes are a unique cultural amenity that contributes positively to the mental health and overall wellness of visitors as a place of respite and reflection.
Many visitors to the Domes are from the surrounding Clarke Square Neighborhood, which has a population that is 70% Latinx, a 42% poverty rate, and has been severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Supervisor Ortiz-Velez Urges County to Apply for State Funds to Repair Mitchell Park Domes - Sup. Sylvia Ortiz-Velez - Sep 30th, 2021
- MKE County: Saga Of The Domes Continues - Graham Kilmer - Sep 15th, 2021
- MKE County: Board Adds Domes Funding to Budget - Graham Kilmer - Oct 29th, 2019
- Lipscomb Proposes Funds for Domes Preservation - County Board Chairman Theodore Lipscomb, Sr. - Oct 29th, 2019
- MKE County: Domes Task Force Recommends $66 Million Plan - Graham Kilmer - Aug 14th, 2019
- Lipscomb Applauds Work of Domes Task Force - County Board Chairman Theodore Lipscomb, Sr. - Aug 13th, 2019
- MKE County: Domes Proposal Requires Great Speed - Graham Kilmer - Jul 24th, 2019
- 4 Questions and Answers on The Domes - Ana Martinez-Ortiz - Mar 30th, 2019
- MKE County: Rumors of Domes’ Demise Exaggerated - Graham Kilmer - Mar 18th, 2019
- Task Force Says Dump the Domes - Corri Hess - Mar 13th, 2019
Read more about Future of The Domes here