Supervisor Ortiz-Velez Urges County to Apply for State Funds to Repair Mitchell Park Domes
MILWAUKEE – Supervisor Sylvia Ortiz-Velez is calling on Milwaukee County to apply for funding from Governor Tony Evers’s Neighborhood Investment Fund grant program to address critical capital projects at the Mitchell Park Domes. The governor announced the Neighborhood Investment Fund on August 24, specifically noting that local governments can apply for funding for “new and improved facilities.”
“The Neighborhood Investment Fund grant program could have a dramatic impact on the backlog of local projects and help launch innovative new programs for underserved communities,” said Supervisor Ortiz-Velez. “For Milwaukee County, it is imperative that we consider all available funding options for restoring and improving the Mitchell Park Domes, including this grant program.”
The County Board formally established that it is Milwaukee County’s policy to repair and preserve the Domes in 2016. Based on this policy position the County Board created the Domes Task Force, which recommended a restoration plan in 2019. The County Board has not formally adopted the task force’s restoration plan.
Securing funding for the Mitchell Park Domes could help the County make progress on its goal of achieving racial equity and becoming the healthiest county in the state. The Domes are a unique cultural amenity that contributes positively to the mental health and overall wellness of visitors as a place of respite and reflection.
Many visitors to the Domes are from the surrounding Clarke Square Neighborhood, which has a population that is 70% Latinx, a 42% poverty rate, and has been severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
More about the Future of The Domes
- MKE County: New Firms Will Study Rehab, Replacement or Demo of The Domes - Graham Kilmer - Mar 18th, 2023
- MKE County: County Begins Future Domes Study - Graham Kilmer - Feb 18th, 2023
- MKE County: Board Approves Studying Demolition, Other Options For The Domes - Graham Kilmer - Dec 16th, 2022
- Supervisor Martinez Renews Call to Fund the Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory - Sup. Juan Miguel Martinez - Dec 6th, 2022
- MKE County: New Policy Would Require County To Study Demolishing The Domes - Graham Kilmer - Dec 1st, 2022
- Supervisors Applaud Decision to Advance Historic Designation for Mitchell Park Domes - Sup. Juan Miguel Martinez - Sep 23rd, 2022
- MKE County: Supervisors Demand A Domes Plan - Graham Kilmer - Sep 13th, 2022
- Op Ed: How the Domes Can Be Saved - Frank Schneiger - Sep 12th, 2022
- MKE County: Task Force Rejects ARPA Funding for Domes - Graham Kilmer - Sep 8th, 2022
- Supervisors Martinez, Zerpa, and Martin Disagree with ARPA Task Force Decision to Reject Funding the Mitchell Park Domes - Sup. Juan Miguel Martinez - Sep 8th, 2022
Read more about Future of The Domes here
One thought on “Supervisor Ortiz-Velez Urges County to Apply for State Funds to Repair Mitchell Park Domes”
“The Domes” are one of the crown jewels of the City of Milwaukee. It is one of many attractions that draw millions of visitors to Milwaukee from all over the State and all over the world.
Three cheers for Supervisor Ortiz-Velez…