Supervisor Moore Omokunde Statement on Sterling Brown Video
"Black folks are reminded daily about the violence that our communities suffer at the hands of the police in America."
“Black folks are reminded daily about the violence that our communities suffer at the hands of the police in America. Because the mayor and the police chief warned us that the video would be “bad,” I was prepared for the agony we can hear in Sterling Brown’s voice as he bears the pain of being tased by Milwaukee police officers.
“What I was not prepared for in the Sterling Brown video was how quickly the officer chose to escalate the situation, compared to the calm way in which Mr. Brown conducted himself.
“What I was not prepared for was how the officer repeatedly provoked Mr. Brown, by falsely accusing him of either not complying with the officer’s ever changing demands, or of physically challenging him.
“Appropriate police recruitment and training yields committed men and women who protect and serve us daily. However, police officers who treat our citizens with this level of disrespect, and subject innocent citizens to this kind of excessive force should be held accountable and not be allowed to go back into the community with a badge and a gun.”
More about the Sterling Brown Incident
- City Attorney candidate Tearman Spencer releases statement on Sterling Brown case - Tearman Spencer - Oct 11th, 2019
- City Hall: Council Okays Settlement to Sterling Brown - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 4th, 2019
- City Attorney Shifts Blame to Sterling Brown - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Aug 29th, 2018
- Joint Statement on the Sterling Brown case - Milwaukee Common Council - Aug 29th, 2018
- Op Ed: Jim Crow and Urban America - Dr. Robert S. Smith - Jun 25th, 2018
- Brown Files Suit Against Milwaukee Police - Ximena Conde - Jun 19th, 2018
- Chief Won’t Name Cops Who Tased Brown - Ximena Conde - May 25th, 2018
- Sterling Brown incident authenticates predictions from years past - Ald. Tony Zielinski - May 25th, 2018
- Mahlon Mitchell Statement on the Release of Body Cam Footage Involving Sterling Brown - Mahlon Mitchell - May 24th, 2018
- Supervisor Moore Omokunde Statement on Sterling Brown Video - Sup. Supreme Moore Omokunde - May 24th, 2018
- City Hall: Police Reform Needed, Say Council Members - Jeramey Jannene - May 24th, 2018
- Rep. Bowen: Statement on release of bodycam footage of Sterling Brown - State Rep. David Bowen - May 24th, 2018
- Sterling Brown case leaves us with many unanswered questions - Ald. Bob Donovan - May 24th, 2018
- Supervisor Nicholson Statement on Sterling Brown Incident - Sup. Marcelia Nicholson - May 24th, 2018
- Gov. Scott Walker Quick to Weigh in on NFL Player Protests, Silent on Release of Footage Showing Authorities Assaulting Milwaukee Buck Sterling Brown - One Wisconsin Now - May 24th, 2018
- Murphy’s Law: Police Video Gets National Attention - Bruce Murphy - May 24th, 2018
- Black Leaders Organizing for Communities (BLOC) calls for accountability for officers involved in the Sterling Brown video - Black Leaders Organizing for Communities - May 23rd, 2018
- Bucks Organization Statement on Sterling Brown - Milwaukee Bucks - May 23rd, 2018
Recent Press Releases by Sup. Supreme Moore Omokunde
"They are a staple in the history of Hip Hop Music and serve as orchestrators in the soundtrack of mine and millions of other lives worldwide."
The Milwaukee Common Council passed a companion resolution to create the taskforce at its Tuesday, July 9 meeting.
"Some of the challenges we face economically can be solved by addressing our challenges with climate change."