Supervisor Martinez Renews Call to Fund the Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory
MILWAUKEE – On Tuesday, December 6, the Committee on Parks and Culture unanimously recommended adoption of a resolution, which recognizes a new County policy to expand the scope of strategic planning associated with the Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory to enable the Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors to consider all options for the future of the Domes. Supervisor Juan Miguel-Martinez made the following statement.
“After years of inaction in making needed repairs to the Domes, I am very happy to be part of a coalition of the willing that is looking to improve the Domes as well as Mitchell Park as a whole. While demolition is not being an option, there are members who would like the costs associated with demolition studied. As the county residents begin to gain understanding of the costs associated with destroying the Domes, transferring the plant collection, and rebuilding the site of the building, I am confident that public opinion will continue to trend toward saving this Milwaukee icon. While this resolution achieves much of what we want, there is still some language that needs to be included. Specifically, language needs to be added which eliminates inaction as an option. Choosing to ignore a jewel in our Parks system as it begins to deteriorate is the same as choosing to demolish it and should not be an option which is considered. I plan to introduce an amendment that will do just that. I’ll continue working towards our shared goal of saving the Mitchell Park Domes and repairing Mitchell Park to improve both health and outcomes in our community. I will never stop fighting for the Domes, my constituents, my block, my district and all of the people that live here.” said Supervisor Martinez.
The resolution is cosponsored by Supervisors Sheldon Wasserman, Juan Miguel Martinez, Shawn Rolland, Kathleen Vincent, Steve F. Taylor, Felesia A. Martin, Steven Shea, and Peter Burgelis and can be found here.
A report released in 2016 by GRAEF USA about options for the Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory estimated the plant collection’s value at $3.4 million.
NOTE: This press release was submitted to Urban Milwaukee and was not written by an Urban Milwaukee writer. It has not been verified for its accuracy or completeness.
- MKE County: New Plan Emerging To Save The Domes - Graham Kilmer - Nov 16th, 2023
- MKE County: Domes Costs Shock Supervisors - Graham Kilmer - Sep 12th, 2023
- Op Ed: Don’t Despair About the Domes - Emma Rudd - Aug 16th, 2023
- MKE County: Parks Launches Mitchell Park Campaign - Graham Kilmer - Jul 31st, 2023
- MKE County: New Firms Will Study Rehab, Replacement or Demo of The Domes - Graham Kilmer - Mar 18th, 2023
- MKE County: County Begins Future Domes Study - Graham Kilmer - Feb 18th, 2023
- MKE County: Board Approves Studying Demolition, Other Options For The Domes - Graham Kilmer - Dec 16th, 2022
- Supervisor Martinez Renews Call to Fund the Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory - Sup. Juan Miguel Martinez - Dec 6th, 2022
- MKE County: New Policy Would Require County To Study Demolishing The Domes - Graham Kilmer - Dec 1st, 2022
- Supervisors Applaud Decision to Advance Historic Designation for Mitchell Park Domes - Sup. Juan Miguel Martinez - Sep 23rd, 2022
Read more about Future of The Domes here