Statement on the passing of SDC Commissioner George Matthews
Common Council President Cavalier Johnson April 23, 2020
I was saddened to learn that earlier this week Social Development Commission (SDC) Commissioner George Matthews passed away from complications related to COVID-19. I send my thoughts and prayers to George’s family, friends and co-workers during this difficult time.
I had the privilege to know and work with George over the years, and his passion and dedication to the community were infectious. He had a big heart and made it his life’s work to uplift those in need throughout the community, particularly in the Sherman Park neighborhood where he was a resident.
Whether it was through his work with the SDC, his time in the Army, at Milwaukee Public Schools or just volunteering, George left a positive impact on everyone he met. He will surely be missed, but his legacy will not be forgotten.
- WI Daily: 206 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 6th, 2021
- Surprising No One, Senator Johnson Votes Against Relief for Wisconsin Workers and Families - Opportunity Wisconsin - Mar 6th, 2021
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Votes to Pass the American Rescue Plan and Support Wisconsin - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Mar 6th, 2021
- WI Daily: 350 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 5th, 2021
- DHS and Laboratory Partners Identify Variant Strain B.1.351 of SARS-CoV-2 in Wisconsin - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Mar 5th, 2021
- Many South Side Seniors Now Eligible for Vaccination at Kosciuszko Community Center - Sup. Sylvia Ortiz-Velez - Mar 5th, 2021
- State Vaccine Hotline Up and Running - Graham Kilmer - Mar 5th, 2021
- County Targeting Vulnerable ZIP Codes for Vaccine - Graham Kilmer - Mar 5th, 2021
- Ron Johnson Pushes Conspiracies Ahead of Possible Third Term - Shawn Johnson - Mar 5th, 2021
- Gov. Evers, DHS Announce 1 Million Wisconsinites Have Received at Least One Dose of the COVID-19 Vaccine - Gov. Tony Evers - Mar 5th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Common Council President Cavalier Johnson
Joint statement from Alderman Cavalier Johnson, Alderman Khalif J. Rainey and Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic
Joint statement of Common Council President Cavalier Johnson and Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa February 16, 2021