Statement on Redistricting Ruling
“Voters should choose their politicians; politicians shouldn’t choose their voters."
MADISON – The following is a statement from Senator Chris Larson (D-Milwaukee) on today’s redistricting ruling.
“Today’s court ruling recognizes the Republican abuse of power as going too far in shutting out our neighbors’ voices in elections.
“Attempts to suppress the public’s voice by politically gerrymandering districts in order to weaken the voting power of targeted groups is a betrayal of our fundamental freedoms and values. The ruling today should serve as strong warning to Wisconsin and as a clear precedent to other states. If we were outsiders taking a real look at the flawed, unfair, and undemocratic voting system that one party rule has thrust upon our state, I am certain the majority of us would be shocked and outraged.
“It is important for us to remember that Republican legislators secretly drafted the district maps – including the Assembly maps now affirmed as unconstitutional – behind closed doors for months before hastily adopting them. They left little time for public input. During legal proceedings regarding specific district lines, Republicans were caught red-handed destroying evidence instead of lawfully handing it over to the judges. Hundreds of thousands of records were deleted at ‘suspicious times.’
“Walker and state Republicans have shown themselves to do anything to hold onto power. It is time we move forward with an unbiased system of redistricting to ensure the voices of all our neighbors can be heard.
“Voters should choose their politicians; politicians shouldn’t choose their voters.”
- Gov. Evers Delivers Democratic Radio Address on The People’s Maps Commission - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- Statement from Senator Erpenbach on The People’s Maps Commission - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Jul 9th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Announces People’s Maps Commission Application and Selection Processes - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- 8 More Counties Plan Referendum on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Jun 29th, 2020
- Op Ed: Jensen Tries to Pre-Rig Redistricting - Matt Rothschild - Jun 9th, 2020
- WILL Wants WI Supreme Court to Take Redistricting Cases First - Shawn Johnson - Jun 4th, 2020
- Back in the News: Scott Walker Loses Again - Bruce Murphy - Apr 29th, 2020
- 51 of 72 Counties Now Back Fair Maps - Matt Rothschild - Apr 15th, 2020
- 23 Advisory Votes on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Mar 25th, 2020
- City Hall: Ballots Won’t Have Duplicate Gerrymandering Questions - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 27th, 2020
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Chris Larson