Statement on Governor Evers’ announcement he will include nonpartisan redistricting reform in his proposed budget
"This decision gives us a chance to have representative democracy again in Wisconsin."
MILWUAKEE – “We applaud Governor Evers for his leadership as we try to end the map-rigging that has corrupted Wisconsin politics,” said Sachin Chheda, Chair of the WI Fair Maps Coalition. “This decision gives us a chance to have representative democracy again in Wisconsin.
“Governor Evers has heeded our call for moving nonpartisan redistricting reform forward, and now the Legislature must follow suit,” continued Chheda. “If they aren’t afraid of the voters, they won’t need to keep rigging the maps.”
Sachin Chheda, director of the Fair Elections Project, which organized and launched the Whitford case, will be available for interviews today.
More information about the lawsuit and campaign can be found at the Fair Elections Project website at fairelectionsproject.org, at Facebook.com/wifairelections, and on Twitter at @WIFairElections and @FairElections.
- Republicans Lose Lawyers Before Redistricting Starts - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 29th, 2021
- Judge Prohibits Republicans Using Private Lawyers for Redistricting - Shawn Johnson - Apr 29th, 2021
- Op Ed: How Gerrymandered Are We? - Kevin Baas - Apr 29th, 2021
- Murphy’s Laws: The New Gerrymandering Scheme - Bruce Murphy - Apr 27th, 2021
- Evers Redistricting Panel Seeks ‘Partisan Fairness’ - Shawn Johnson - Apr 17th, 2021
- Law Forward’s “Redistricting 101” Provides Much-needed Overview of Critical but Complicated Process - Law Forward - Apr 15th, 2021
- Op Ed: Wisconsin Needs Fair Maps - Ruth Conniff - Apr 1st, 2021
- Your Right to Know: Redistricting Shouldn’t Be Done In Secret - Matthew DeFour - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Redistricting conversation continues on virtual “On the Issues,” Feb. 11 - Marquette University - Feb 10th, 2021
- Op Ed: Redistricting Should Consider Native Americans - Tehassi Hill - Feb 9th, 2021
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Fair Elections Project
Nonpartisan redistricting commission charged with drawing fair, impartial maps based on Census data
Sheboygan County Board passes resolution 20-4 to become 48th county to call for Fair Maps
"It’s time to return power to the people, and make our redistricting process nonpartisan and independent."