Fair Elections Project Applauds Judicial Panel’s Selections for the People’s Maps Commission
Nonpartisan redistricting commission charged with drawing fair, impartial maps based on Census data
MADISON—The Fair Elections Project, Wisconsin’s leading group fighting gerrymandering, reacted positively to the announcement yesterday of the members of the People’s Maps Commission.
“These citizens are charged with holding hearings, taking public input, and drawing new proposed maps in a public and transparent manner, in direct contrast to the rigged and corrupt process used by legislative leadership 10 years ago,” said Holly Bland, deputy director of the Fair Elections Project. “It is our hope the Legislature takes heed and supports the drawing of maps in sunlight rather than darkness.”
The commission will hold its first public hearing in October, the first of at least eight upcoming virtual hearings across the state to hear from experts and local leaders. The commission will use this information to prepare a map for the Legislature’s consideration.
- Redistricting conversation continues on virtual “On the Issues,” Feb. 11 - Marquette University - Feb 10th, 2021
- Op Ed: Redistricting Should Consider Native Americans - Tehassi Hill - Feb 9th, 2021
- Op Ed: Why the War on Masks? Gerrymandering - Mel Barnes - Feb 7th, 2021
- Op Ed: Correct a Cheating System With Fair Maps - State Sen. Jeff Smith - Feb 3rd, 2021
- Will State Supreme Court Draw New Legislative Boundaries? - Shawn Johnson - Jan 15th, 2021
- Data Wonk: Tales Told By The 2020 Election - Bruce Thompson - Dec 31st, 2020
- Court Watch: 2,000 Object to Redistricting Proposal - Gretchen Schuldt - Dec 13th, 2020
- Murphys Law: Beware the GOP Redistricting Proposal - Bruce Murphy - Dec 2nd, 2020
- Op Ed: Dear Wisconsin Supreme Court - Matt Rothschild - Nov 23rd, 2020
- Former lawmakers to go ‘On the Issues’ for virtual bipartisan conversation on redistricting, Oct. 13 - Marquette University - Oct 12th, 2020
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Fair Elections Project
Sheboygan County Board passes resolution 20-4 to become 48th county to call for Fair Maps
"It’s time to return power to the people, and make our redistricting process nonpartisan and independent."
Statement on Governor Evers’ announcement he will include nonpartisan redistricting reform in his proposed budgetFeb 26th, 2019 by Wisconsin Fair Elections Project
"This decision gives us a chance to have representative democracy again in Wisconsin."