Statement: Mask mandate an important step, but state leaders should create new stay-at-home order
With COVID-19 surging, state leaders should shut down, start over and do it right
MADISON — Gov. Tony Evers announced a statewide mask mandate on Thursday aimed at reining in the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Wisconsin. This statement comes as the state struggles to contain the uncontrolled spread of the virus in our state. More than 1,000 health professionals nationwide have now signed U.S. PIRG’s open letter to America’s decision-makers urging states to shut down, start over, and do it right this time.
WISPIRG Director Peter Skopec issued the following statement in response to the mask mandate:
“We applaud Gov. Evers for taking this necessary step to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Wisconsin — but it won’t be enough. More decisive action is necessary. Gov. Evers, Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald and Assembly Speaker Robin Vos must work together to put in place a new stay-at-home order, start over, and do it right this time.
“Telling the hard truths and making the hard calls now will save more lives later. More than 1,000 health professionals nationwide, including some of the foremost experts in the country, have now signed our open letter to America’s decision-makers urging a new shut-down.
“Wisconsin’s leaders should close non-essential businesses. People should stay home until the percentage of COVID-19 tests coming back positive is at 2 percent or lower on average statewide. Health experts agree that’s low enough that they’d feel confident the current outbreak is under control.
“However, even when the positivity rate hits 2 percent or lower, the state should not start reopening again unless we meet additional important criteria laid out by health experts. This includes greater daily testing capacity; a workforce of contact tracers large enough to trace all current cases; and enough personal protective equipment (PPE) to keep essential workers safe.”
- UW System Vaccination Rates Vary Widely - Rich Kremer - Sep 18th, 2021
- MKE County: COVID-19 Cases Still High in Milwaukee County - Graham Kilmer - Sep 17th, 2021
- Milwaukee Health Department excusing inaction with insufficient data, right-wing talking points - Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association - Sep 16th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Delivers Radio Address on New Investments to Support Local COVID-19 Pandemic Response and Recovery - Gov. Tony Evers - Sep 16th, 2021
- UWM reaches 70% vaccination rate goal, pushes for more - University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - Sep 16th, 2021
- Data Wonk: Biden Vaccine Plan Helps GOP Governors - Bruce Thompson - Sep 15th, 2021
- Gov. Evers, DHS Remind Wisconsinites to Get Vaccinated to Get $100 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Sep 15th, 2021
- American Family Field COVID-19 Testing Site Closing - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 14th, 2021
- For Ron Johnson, Prolonging the Pandemic is Just Another Day at the Office - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Sep 14th, 2021
- Nursing Home Workers Resist Vaccines - Madeline Fuerstenberg - Sep 13th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
- Court Watch: Why Court Voided Evers Emergency Order - Gretchen Schuldt - Apr 5th, 2021
- Statement by Heartland Institute Director Jeré Fabick on WI Supreme Court Victory Against Gov. Tony Evers - Heartland Institute - Mar 31st, 2021
- Senator Agard: Statement on Supreme Court Decision - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Mar 31st, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Hyperpartisan Supreme Court is Endangering the Public - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Mar 31st, 2021
- Wisconsin Supreme Court: Gov. Evers’ Multiple Emergency Declarations Violate Law - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Mar 31st, 2021
- Rep. Hesselbein Statement on Supreme Court Ruling on Emergency Orders - State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein - Mar 31st, 2021
- Statement on Wisconsin Supreme Court Decision - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Mar 31st, 2021
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement Regarding Supreme Court Decision - Gov. Tony Evers - Mar 31st, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Statement on Wisconsin Supreme Court Ruling - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Mar 31st, 2021
- State Supreme Court Overrules Evers’ Emergency Powers - Laurel White - Mar 31st, 2021
Read more about Statewide Mask Mandate here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by WISPIRG
With COVID-19 spiking in Wisconsin, experts ask the state leaders to prioritize public health