Senator Baldwin Leads NDAA Amendment to Increase National Production of Testing Supplies and PPE as COVID-19 Cases Rise
“We need more testing supplies, more testing, and more personal protective equipment for workers on the frontlines of this pandemic.”
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) has introduced an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act of 2021 (NDAA) that would require President Trump to unlock the full authority and power of the Defense Production Act to scale up nation-wide production of the testing supplies, personal protective equipment, and medical equipment needed at the local level to address the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
“New coronavirus cases are rising in states across the country, which means we need more testing supplies, more testing, and more personal protective equipment for workers on the frontlines of this pandemic,” said Senator Baldwin. “President Trump’s response to this pandemic has been a failure of leadership, so this amendment will force action to increase national production of testing supplies, personal protective equipment, and medical equipment needed to save lives.”
Baldwin’s amendment is cosponsored by Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and Senators Chris Murphy (D-CT), Michael Bennet (D-CO), Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Cory Booker (D-NJ), Sherrod Brown (D-OH), Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), Dick Durbin (D-IL), Kamala D. Harris (D-CA), Maggie Hassan (D-NH), Mazie Hirono (D-HI), Doug Jones (D-AL), Tim Kaine (D-VA), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Joe Manchin (D-WV), Ed Markey (D-MA), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Bob Menendez (D-NJ), Brian Schatz (D-HI), Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), Jacky Rosen (D-NV), Mark Warner (D-VA), and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA).
The NDAA is being considered on the Senate floor this week.
The full amendment is available here.
An online version of this release is available here.
- Unemployment Claims Continue At Unprecedented Rate - Graham Kilmer - Jul 9th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Announces Successful Roll Out of Online COVID-19 Test Registration at National Guard Testing Sites - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- Assembly GOP Pitches Unemployment Loans - Erik Gunn - Jul 9th, 2020
- Baldwin, Colleagues Call for $32B in Transit Funding in Next COVID-19 Stimulus Package - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jul 9th, 2020
- Data Wonk: The War Against Masks - Bruce Thompson - Jul 8th, 2020
- WI Daily: 20 Days of Climbing COVID-19 Positive Case Rate - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 8th, 2020
- Evers Won’t Issue New Shutdown Order - Erik Gunn - Jul 8th, 2020
- City Hall: Milwaukee Mask Mandate Scaled Back - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 8th, 2020
- MKE County: Bus Passengers May Face Mask Mandate - Graham Kilmer - Jul 8th, 2020
- Pocan: “American & United Airlines are Throwing Taxpayers Under the Proverbial Airbus” - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Jul 8th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
Baldwin, Colleagues Introduce 1619 Act to Raise Awareness, Understanding of African American History in SchoolsJul 7th, 2020 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
Legislation Would Provide Funding for Educators to Gain Access to Educational Programming from the National Museum of African American History & Culture
Almost Half of Young Children in the United States Live in Poverty or Near Poverty, With Infants and Toddlers at Greatest Risk