Senator Agard responds to Speaker Vos comments regarding gun reform legislation
Common Sense Gun Reforms Save Lives
MADISON- Yesterday, Speaker Robin Vos made comments regarding the efficacy of gun reform legislation to prevent gun violence in our communities. Vos stated that there is little we can do to address gun violence beyond arresting perpetrators in response to mass shootings. Senator Melissa Agard (D-Madison) released the following statement in response to his comments.
The statistics are clear:
- In states where common sense gun safety legislation has been enacted, gun violence has gone down by 40% (Making Our Communities Safer, Americans for Responsible Solutions).
- Background checks have stopped over 2.4 million gun sales to prohibited people including felons and domestic abusers (Mayors Against Illegal Guns, No Strings Attached, September 2013).
- Universal background checks are supported by 80 percent of Wisconsinites and 75% of Wisconsin gun owners (Marquette Law Poll, 2019).
“Everyone deserves to be safe where they live, work, and play – whether they are at a grocery store, school, place of worship, movie theatre, spa, concert, job site, playground, mall, festivals, or in their own home. There are measures we can take right now to prevent mass shootings we have seen across the country for decades. We need our political leaders to have the courage to do the right thing – something that Vos doesn’t have,” Sen. Agard concluded.
- Rep. Stubbs Statement on Shooting in Knoxville, TN - State Rep. Shelia Stubbs - Apr 12th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen Applauds Biden-Harris Administration for Executive Action to Curb Gun Violence in Our Communities - State Rep. David Bowen - Apr 8th, 2021
- Senator Agard Applauds President Biden Taking Steps to Address Gun Violence - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 8th, 2021
- AG Kaul, Dem Lawmakers Push New Gun Laws - Laurel White - Apr 1st, 2021
- Senator Agard joins Attorney General Josh Kaul, Senator LaTonya Johnson in Support of Governor Evers’ Gun Safety Budget Provisions - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 1st, 2021
- Op Ed: Gun Owners for Gun Control - Dave Cieslewicz - Mar 28th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen Condemns Anti-Asian Hate, Calls for Common Sense Gun Reform - State Rep. David Bowen - Mar 26th, 2021
- Senator Agard responds to Speaker Vos comments regarding gun reform legislation - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Mar 24th, 2021
- Rep. Stubbs Statement on Shooting in Boulder, Colorado - State Rep. Shelia Stubbs - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Senator Agard Responds to Boulder Shooting, Calls for Immediate Action on Gun Safety in Wisconsin - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Mar 23rd, 2021
Read more about Gun Violence here