Sen. Carpenter Requests Legislative Audit of Michael Gableman’s Commission
“Today I requested that the nonpartisan Legislative Audit Bureau perform an audit of the Office of Special Counsel which is conducting the $676,000 investigation of the 2020 election headed by Michael Gableman. Little is known by the public or the legislature about the investigation’s true objective, the number of people on Gableman’s staff, and details about OSC’s accounting. The public needs to have confidence that that $676,000 is not being wasted and that there is no questionable or illegal activity occurring at the OSC.
“We know that this is not about finding widespread fraud. Gableman has already made up his mind even though investigations by the Legislative Audit Bureau, the bipartisan Wisconsin Elections Commission, and even the conservative group Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty have already found no widespread fraud.
“Nobody knows if the $676,000 has already been spent. I’m asking the Legislative Audit Bureau to: determine if OSC has a list of expenses; identify the terms of the contract with Speaker Vos which was signed—and then an extension was made—verbally; whether OSC has entered into any other contracts; and what is the current balance of funds in OSC’s accounts. In addition, I requested that they determine why Gableman has already missed two deadlines for producing a report to the public about the investigation’s findings. We need to know how much longer this will go on before the public can see results or if Speaker Vos will write another almost-$1 million check.
“I’m also requesting that Audit Bureau provide answers about Gableman’s staff. It hasn’t been disclosed how they were recruited and screened. All that is known at this time is that some have questionable backgrounds and credentials, biased views on elections, some believe in conspiracy theories, and at least one has shared racist content on social media.
“I trust that the nonpartisan Legislative Audit Bureau can provide the transparency and accountability that the OSC has so far failed to provide to the people of Wisconsin. Only then can the taxpayers see whether their $676,000 is being misused. Before another penny is given to Michael Gableman’s OSC, the public deserves to know if their tax dollars are being thrown down a conspiracy rabbit hole.”
- Court Rejects Kaul Suit to Stop GOP Election Probe’s Subpoena - Laurel White - Jan 11th, 2022
- Sen. Carpenter Requests Legislative Audit of Michael Gableman’s Commission - State Sen. Tim Carpenter - Jan 10th, 2022
- Op Ed: Hold Wisconsin’s Fraudulent Electors Accountable - Jeffrey Mandell - Jan 6th, 2022
- Republicans Expand Election Probe - Laurel White - Jan 4th, 2022
- Quit ‘Chasing Conspiracy Theories,’ Kaul Urges Republicans - Shawn Johnson - Dec 15th, 2021
- Vos Can’t Say When Election Probe Will End - Laurel White - Dec 15th, 2021
- Key Republican Bashes GOP Elections Probe - Laurel White - Dec 14th, 2021
- Op Ed: International Election Observers Would Give Wisconsin a Failing Grade - Laura Thornton - Dec 9th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Condemns GOP Attack on Election Officials - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Dec 6th, 2021
- Gableman Asks Court to Arrest Madison, Green Bay Mayors - Henry Redman - Dec 6th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Tim Carpenter