Safety improvements throughout Milwaukee County
Some ramp closures to occur in overnight hours
On Wednesday, June 21, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is scheduled to begin a series of surface treatments at several locations throughout Milwaukee County. To minimize impact to the traveling public, work will take place during the evening-to-early morning hours. To facilitate work in these locations, lane closures and some ramp closures will be necessary.
- I-94 Westbound Bridge over WIS 175 (Stadium Interchange)
- Beginning June 21
- I-43/I-94 Southbound Bridge over National Ave., Walker and Mineral streets.
- I-43/I-94 Northbound On-ramp Bridge over National Ave., Walker and Mineral streets.
- Beginning early July
- I-41 Northbound Bridge over Burleigh Street
- I-41 Southbound Bridge over Burleigh Street
- Beginning mid-July
Crashes in these areas are above the statewide average. The locations’ roadways and structures will receive either a friction surface treatment or polymer overlay. These specially-engineered pavement overlays provide a rougher texture and have the following benefits.
- Reduce crashes, injuries and fatalities
- Relatively low in cost compared to geometric improvements
- Produce negligible environmental impacts
- Short installation time has minimal impact on traffic
The contractor, Michels Corp., plans on completing work in each location within one or two weeks. Some noise is associated with this operation. The schedule of work is weather dependent and subject to change.
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Asst. Deputy Secretary receives “Friend of WABA Award”
Contractors honored for projects in Sheboygan, Iowa, Vilas, Douglas, Pierce, Winnebago, and Racine and Kenosha counties