Roys Releases Video Outlining Benefits to Legalizing Cannabis in Wisconsin
Roys’ video tells the story of a man, Heath Rush, who became addicted to opioids while experiencing back pain due to injury.
MADISON, WI — Today, Democratic gubernatorial candidate Kelda Roys released a video highlighting the positive impacts that legalization of cannabis for medical and adult recreational use can have in Wisconsin.
Roys’ video tells the story of a man, Heath Rush, who became addicted to opioids while experiencing back pain due to injury. Heath states that he feels he, “could have gotten through 90% of the back-pain without a single opiate if I just had medical-grade marijuana.”
A transcript of the video has been provided at the end of this release.
Kelda Roys released the following statement:
“Adults should be free to use marijuana without fear of prosecution. We need to stop using our criminal justice resources to prosecute and incarcerate people for cannabis use. We can earn revenue, improve Wisconsin’s agricultural economy, and help stop unequal enforcement that drives racial disparities in our criminal justice system. It’s time to legalize cannabis for recreational and medicinal use, and grow Wisconsin’s economy.”
To read more on Kelda’s plans to legalize cannabis, click here.
“It’s Time to Legalize Marijuana” Transcript:
Heath: I was an opera singer for several years… There was this one time where I had to jump off stage, and it made me blow a disc in my back. I did not have health insurance at the time – I couldn’t really go to the doctor and have a surgery at the time, so I had to medicate it.
The doctors put me on Vicodin. I begged them for an MRI. Finally, when they did it (the MRI) it turned out I did need surgery on my back. I got to where I could not get the opiate out of my system. I could not go more than two, three hours without popping a couple pills.
Kelda Roys: I’m Kelda Roys and I’m running for governor of Wisconsin. It’s time for our state to legalize cannabis, both for medicinal purposes and for adult recreational uses. Thousands of Wisconsinites are suffering from chronic pain from muscle spasms. Cannabis can help alleviate those symptoms, relieve their suffering, and it’s often safer than alternatives like opioids.
Secondly, we’ve got a huge criminal justice problem in our state. We incarcerate too many people and we have some of the worst racial disparities in the nation. Now, legalizing cannabis isn’t going to solve our criminal justice problems, but it is certainly a step in the right direction.
Finally, legalizing cannabis can have a great impact on our economy. Think of all the family farmers in Wisconsin who are struggling to make ends meet. A cash crop like industrial hemp or cannabis can help them do that. Finally, the states that have legalized cannabis have seen an influx of hundreds of millions of dollars in new tax revenue. We can put that revenue to great use in Wisconsin on our schools, our roads, our healthcare system. I’m Kelda Roys, and it’s time to legalize cannabis in our state.
Kelda Roys, 39, is a small business owner, attorney, former state representative, and past head of NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin, who has been standing up for women and families throughout her career. In the Assembly, she stood out as an influential and effective lawmaker, delivering results for working families and helping lead the opposition to Governor Scott Walker’s divisive agenda. As the parent and stepparent of four girls, Roys will fight for paid family leave, affordable childcare, student debt relief, great schools, and healthcare for all. In a year in which Wisconsin voters are ready for change, Kelda Roys provides the clearest contrast to Scott Walker.
Kelda for Governor
More about the Legalizing of Marijuana
- State Residents Cross Border for Legal Pot - Corri Hess - Jan 3rd, 2020
- GOP Bill Legalizes Medical Marijuana - Shawn Johnson - Dec 11th, 2019
- The Cannabis Question: More People Using Pot as Medicine - Shayli Kipnis - Nov 9th, 2019
- The Cannabis Question: Bill Eases Burdens On Pot Offenders - Natalie Yahr - Nov 6th, 2019
- The Cannabis Question: Pot Possession Charges Cause Big Problems - Natalie Yahr - Nov 2nd, 2019
- Bill Would Decriminalize Pot Possession - Laurel White - Oct 30th, 2019
- Senator Larson Continues to Support Legalization and Decriminalization of Marijuana - State Sen. Chris Larson - Oct 30th, 2019
- Rep. Stubbs, Lt. Gov. Barnes Announce Legislation Decriminalizing Marijuana - State Rep. Shelia Stubbs - Oct 30th, 2019
- Risser Calls for Decriminalizing Marijuana - State Sen. Fred Risser - Oct 30th, 2019
- Democrats Push Medical Marijuana, Red Flag Law - Laurel White - Oct 7th, 2019
- Bipartisan Bill Would Legalize Medical Marijuana - Isiah Holmes - Oct 3rd, 2019
- Pot Tourism in Illinois? - Melanie Conklin - Sep 30th, 2019
- The Cannabis Question: Could Legal Marijuana Revitalize Communities? - Parker Schorr - Sep 24th, 2019
- Shilling Backs Medical Cannabis Efforts - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Sep 20th, 2019
- Rep. Shankland Coauthors Legislation to Legalize Medical Cannabis in Wisconsin for Fourth Consecutive Session - State Rep. Katrina Shankland - Sep 20th, 2019
- The Cannabis Question: Marijuana Can Lead to Deportation for Immigrants - Ting-Chia Kan - Aug 6th, 2019
- The Cannabis Question: Pot Arrests 4 Times Higher for Blacks - Izabela Zaluska - Jul 15th, 2019
- Independent Business Association of Wisconsin (IBAW) presents Marijuana, Changing Laws, and Its Effect on the Workplace - Independent Business Association of Wisconsin - Jul 4th, 2019
- Back in the News: Vos Wants Medical Marijuana Bill - Bruce Murphy - Jul 1st, 2019
- Who Uses Cannabis in Wisconsin? - Olivia Herken - Jun 24th, 2019
- Pot Policies All Over the Map - Carter Thomson - Jun 23rd, 2019
- Michigan Struggles With Legal Pot - Rachelle Wilson - Jun 21st, 2019
- Rep. Sargent’s Lonely Pro-Pot Campaign - Hibah Ansari - May 27th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Republican Pushes for Medical Marijuana - Bruce Murphy - May 14th, 2019
- State Behind The Times on Pot Laws? - Analise Pruni - Apr 30th, 2019
- GOP Legislators Kill Medical Pot Proposal - Laurel White - Apr 26th, 2019
- Medical Marijuana Would Provide an Economic Boost to Wisconsin - State Rep. David Bowen - Apr 23rd, 2019
- Sargent Pushes Legal Pot Bill. Again - Laurel White - Apr 19th, 2019
- The Most Dangerous Thing about Marijuana in Wisconsin is that it is Illegal - State Rep. Melissa Sargent - Apr 18th, 2019
- Op Ed: Yes and No on Marijuana - Bill Kaplan - Apr 15th, 2019
- Advocates of Legal Pot Still Face Hurdles - Suzie Kazar - Apr 7th, 2019
- Legislature Urged to Clarify Pot Laws - John Davis - Mar 27th, 2019
- Op Ed: State Is Ready for Medical Marijuana - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Feb 23rd, 2019
- The Contrarian: Evers Dead Wrong On Pot Convictions - George Mitchell - Feb 20th, 2019
- Evers Proposes Medical Marijuana - Laurel White - Feb 19th, 2019
- Rep. Zamarripa Statement on Gov. Evers Plan to Legalize Medical Marijuana - State Rep. JoCasta Zamarripa - Feb 18th, 2019
- Shilling Backs Gov. Evers’ Medical Marijuana Push - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Feb 18th, 2019
- Bowen Applauds Governor Evers’ Marijuana Proposals - State Rep. David Bowen - Feb 18th, 2019
- Sen. Erpenbach Applauds Gov. Evers’ Medical Marijuana Proposal - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Feb 18th, 2019
- Gov. Evers Announces Proposal to Reform Wisconsin’s Marijuana Laws - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 18th, 2019
- WJI supports Gov. Evers’ cannabis initiative - Wisconsin Justice Initiative - Feb 18th, 2019
- The State of Politics: Republicans May Oppose Medical Marijuana - Steven Walters - Jan 28th, 2019
- Court Watch: Chisholm Supports Fully Legal Pot - Gretchen Schuldt - Jan 2nd, 2019
- Everyone Wants Legal Pot! - Gretchen Schuldt - Dec 31st, 2018
- Will Referendums Lead to Legal Pot? - Edgar Mendez - Nov 16th, 2018
- A Sweep for Marijuana Referendums! - Gretchen Schuldt - Nov 7th, 2018
- 52 Legislative Candidates Support Legal Pot - Isiah Holmes - Oct 11th, 2018
- Election Asks Voters About Legal Pot - John Davis - Sep 29th, 2018
- Pot Referendums on November Ballot - Gretchen Schuldt - Aug 30th, 2018
- Roys Releases Video Outlining Benefits to Legalizing Cannabis in Wisconsin - Kelda Roys - Jul 26th, 2018
- County Board Okays Pot Referendum - Gretchen Schuldt - May 25th, 2018
- County Board Overwhelmingly Approves Marijuana Referendum for November 6 Ballot - Sup. John F. Weishan, Jr. - May 24th, 2018
- Court Watch: Just 13% of City’s Pot Cases Involve Whites - Gretchen Schuldt - May 15th, 2018
- MKE County: Committee Okays Referendum on Legalizing Pot - Graham Kilmer - May 10th, 2018
- Public Hearing on Proposed Marijuana Referendum Set for Thursday - Sup. John F. Weishan, Jr. - May 9th, 2018
- Photo Gallery: Cannabis Marchers Demand Legalization - Jack Fennimore - May 7th, 2018
- Supervisor Weishan Proposing Marijuana Referendum for November Ballot - Sup. John F. Weishan, Jr. - May 3rd, 2018
- March for Cannabis – 8th Annual March to Legalize Cannabis in Wisconsin - Southeastern WI NORML - Apr 27th, 2018
- Op Ed: Public Opposes Trump Crackdown on Pot - Casey Hoff - Jan 6th, 2018
- Op Ed: Anti-Marijuana Campaign Is Misguided - Isiah Holmes - Dec 8th, 2017
- Op Ed: Don’t Legalize Marijuana - Bob Dohnal - Dec 6th, 2017
- Matt Flynn Comes Out in Favor of Legalizing Marijuana - Matt Flynn - Nov 14th, 2017
- Dem Lawmakers Push To Legalize Medical Marijuana - Dave Fidlin - Nov 2nd, 2017
- Legalizing Pot Could Be Windfall For Wisconsin - Gretchen Schuldt - Sep 29th, 2017
- Op Ed: Reduce Penalties for Pot Possession - Gretchen Schuldt - Aug 7th, 2017
- Op Ed: We Must Legalize Marijuana - State Rep. David Crowley - Jul 21st, 2017
- Gov. Scott Walker Defense of Taking Donation From Marijuana Industry Advocates While Calling For More Drug Testing: $25,000 Check Too Small to Influence Him - One Wisconsin Now - Jul 21st, 2017
Recent Press Releases by Kelda Roys
"I’m thrilled to have earned the endorsements of so many local elected officials throughout our great state."
“I’m honored to have earned the support of so many well-respected elected officials, from Superior to Beloit.”