Ron Johnson Announces Re-Election Campaign
Johnson Starts Campaign by Breaking Pledge that He’d Only Serve Two Terms
MADISON, Wis. — In response to Ron Johnson kicking off his re-election campaign by breaking his pledge to only serve two terms, Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Ben Wikler released the following statement:
Here’s what to know about self-serving Senator Ron Johnson:
- Wisconsin Editorial Boards Have Condemned Johnson As a “Crook,” “Unfit To Represent Wisconsin,” “The Most Irresponsible Representative Of Wisconsin Citizens Since The Infamous Sen. Joseph R. McCarthy,” and called out his “backroom dealings.”
- Johnson Is Corrupt: He Voted For A Law That Enriched Himself And His Political Donors. Johnson personally changed the 2017 tax law that gave two of his largest political donors a tax handout and benefited his own company. The Associated Press wrote that “Johnson…pushed for a tax break in 2017 resulting in hundreds of millions of dollars in deductions to megadonors who funded his campaigns” and The Guardian wrote that he “personally benefited from a change in tax law that he sought.” Johnson’s own net worth has roughly doubled since taking office.
- “Multimillionaire U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson Paid A Mere $2,105 In State Income Taxes In 2017, Despite Making Big Bucks.” The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel revealed that Johnson, a multi-millionaire, paid “a mere $2,105 in state income taxes in 2017.” Johnson has so far refused to provide any further explanation or release his tax returns.
- When He’s Not Looking Out For Himself, Johnson Votes Against Wisconsin. Johnson admitted he did not read the infrastructure bill before voting against it, he championed efforts to repeal protections for pre-existing conditions and spike health care costs, voted for the GOP tax bill that rewarded companies that outsource jobs and “fought as hard as he could” against a bill cracking down on China’s illicit economic practices.
- Johnson Is “The Republican Party’s Foremost Amplifier of Conspiracy Theories And Disinformation,” Including Multiple Conspiracy Theories Regarding Coronavirus And The January 6th Insurrection. CNN fact-checkers wrote, “Johnson’s penchant for spreading false claims and misinformation shows no signs of stopping.”
- Johnson has also been a constant threat to democracy. He tried to toss out the 2020 election results, claimed the insurrection at the capitol was a “peaceful protest,” and has supported legislation in Wisconsin that would allow the Republican led state legislature to overturn election results.
- Bernie Sanders Endorses Barnes for US Senate - Rich Kremer - Jul 18th, 2022
- Murphy’s Law: Will Senate Democratic Debate Change Race? - Bruce Murphy - Jul 18th, 2022
- Small Business Owners Grill Democratic Senate Candidates - Erik Gunn - Jun 28th, 2022
- Murphy’s Law: Which Democrat Can Beat Ron Johnson? - Bruce Murphy - Jun 20th, 2022
- Op Ed: GOP Needs Alternative to Ron Johnson - David Irwin - Feb 9th, 2022
- Lasry, Godlewski Spend Heavily on Campaigns - Shawn Johnson - Feb 2nd, 2022
- Ron Johnson Dramatically Underperforms in First Finance Report Since Announcing for Reelection - Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes - Feb 1st, 2022
- Re-election Bid Just the Latest Lie From Ron Johnson - A Better Wisconsin Together - Jan 10th, 2022
- Alex Lasry Releases New Digital Ad Targeting Ron Johnson - Alex Lasry - Jan 10th, 2022
- Ron Johnson Explains Run For Reelection - Laurel White - Jan 9th, 2022
Read more about 2022 U.S. Senate Race here