Representative Subeck Introduces “Safe Storage for Gun Safety” Package to Curb Gun Violence and Accidental Shootings
"Gun violence plagues our nation, posing a serious public health and safety crisis."
MADISON – Today, Representative Lisa Subeck (D-Madison) introduced a package of five bills designed to keep guns out of the hands of children and those who intend to use them for harm. The “Safe Storage for Gun Safety” package would take needed steps to address gun violence.
“Gun violence plagues our nation, posing a serious public health and safety crisis. The “Safe Storage for Gun Safety” package of legislation includes common sense measures to keep guns out of the hands of our children and out of the hands of dangerous individuals,” said Rep. Subeck.
LRB-1027 would require businesses that sell firearms to secure all firearms when the business is unattended. This legislation would prevent criminals who break into a gun store from simply walking off with as many handguns as they can carry.
LRB-0978 would require that at the time of sale or transfer of a firearm, the seller provide the individual receiving the gun with a secure lockable container or trigger lock for the firearm.
LRB-0979 would require a gun owner to store firearms in a locked container or have a locking device engaged if a person who cannot legally possess a firearm lives in the residence.
LRB-0984 would require a gun owner to store firearms in a locked container or have a locking device engaged if there is a child living in the residence or if a child is present in the home.
“Wisconsin families deserve the peace of mind that their children are safe whether they are at home, at school, or out in the community. The “Safe Storage for Gun Safety” package would make our communities safer by preventing gun violence and accidental deaths at the hands of those who should not have access to firearms,” said Rep. Subeck.
- Club Midtown isn’t a thing - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - May 5th, 2021
- County Executive David Crowley Statement on Recent Acts of Gun Violence - County Executive David Crowley - May 4th, 2021
- Republicans Continue to Show their True Colors with Upcoming Budget Plans: The Time for Action is Now - State Sen. Melissa Agard - May 3rd, 2021
- Continued gun violence underscores the need for change - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - May 3rd, 2021
- Senator Agard: Statement on Shooting Tragedy at the Oneida Casino Complex - State Sen. Melissa Agard - May 2nd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement Regarding Shooting at Oneida Casino Complex - Gov. Tony Evers - May 1st, 2021
- Op Ed: Mass Shootings Are Not Inevitable - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Apr 30th, 2021
- Rep. Stubbs Statement on Shooting in Knoxville, TN - State Rep. Shelia Stubbs - Apr 12th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen Applauds Biden-Harris Administration for Executive Action to Curb Gun Violence in Our Communities - State Rep. David Bowen - Apr 8th, 2021
- Senator Agard Applauds President Biden Taking Steps to Address Gun Violence - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 8th, 2021
Read more about Gun Violence here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Lisa Subeck
Democrats are ready to put people first on Wisconsin’s road to recovery