Representative Subeck Introduces “Safe Storage for Gun Safety” Package to Curb Gun Violence and Accidental Shootings
"Gun violence plagues our nation, posing a serious public health and safety crisis."
MADISON – Today, Representative Lisa Subeck (D-Madison) introduced a package of five bills designed to keep guns out of the hands of children and those who intend to use them for harm. The “Safe Storage for Gun Safety” package would take needed steps to address gun violence.
“Gun violence plagues our nation, posing a serious public health and safety crisis. The “Safe Storage for Gun Safety” package of legislation includes common sense measures to keep guns out of the hands of our children and out of the hands of dangerous individuals,” said Rep. Subeck.
LRB-1027 would require businesses that sell firearms to secure all firearms when the business is unattended. This legislation would prevent criminals who break into a gun store from simply walking off with as many handguns as they can carry.
LRB-0978 would require that at the time of sale or transfer of a firearm, the seller provide the individual receiving the gun with a secure lockable container or trigger lock for the firearm.
LRB-0979 would require a gun owner to store firearms in a locked container or have a locking device engaged if a person who cannot legally possess a firearm lives in the residence.
LRB-0984 would require a gun owner to store firearms in a locked container or have a locking device engaged if there is a child living in the residence or if a child is present in the home.
“Wisconsin families deserve the peace of mind that their children are safe whether they are at home, at school, or out in the community. The “Safe Storage for Gun Safety” package would make our communities safer by preventing gun violence and accidental deaths at the hands of those who should not have access to firearms,” said Rep. Subeck.
- Gun Violence: Where personal agenda and personal responsibility separate - Tom Palzewicz - Jul 9th, 2020
- Nothing Changed After Molson Coors Shooting - Allison Stevens - Mar 6th, 2020
- Op Ed: Losing Sheila’s Smile - Jeff Spitzer-Resnick - Dec 31st, 2019
- Baldwin Helps Secure Federal Funding to Conduct Gun Violence Research For First Time in More Than 20 Years - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 19th, 2019
- How Gerrymandering Stalls Gun Safety - Robin Bravender - Dec 17th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls for Action on Funding Gun Violence Research at CDC - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Nov 22nd, 2019
- Evers May Call Second Special Session on Guns - Laurel White - Nov 19th, 2019
- Rep. Anderson Addresses Republican Inaction on Gun Reform - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Nov 8th, 2019
- Rep. Considine Reacts to Legislature’s Inaction During Special Session - State Rep. Dave Considine - Nov 8th, 2019
- Republicans Dismiss Governor’s Special Session - Laurel White - Nov 8th, 2019
Read more about Gun Violence here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Lisa Subeck
Vote by Mail Will Protect Our Health and Our Democracy
Put Victims First by Passing Bipartisan Bill (AB 214/SB 200) to Eliminate Future Backlogs for Sexual Assault KitsFeb 11th, 2020 by State Rep. Lisa Subeck
Representative Subeck Calls on Assembly Republicans to Put Sexual Assault Victims Ahead of Petty Partisan Politics